How do I install Kodi on a laptop
If you are wonderingHow to install Kodi on a Windows PC? Worrying about not setting up Kodi on Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, or XP is very simple. First, download the Kodi setup from the Kodi official website. After that, you can install from hundreds of addons.
The best thing about Kodi is that it's free and you can install the software on multiple platforms, including Windows. Check out our guide to Free VPN for Kodi. However, free VPNs are unsafe and can compromise user data.
To get you up and running, we've created a guide on how to install Kodi on Windows. For each variant of Windows, we tested the method of installing Kodi. Similarly, we'll also show you how to update Kodi to a newer version.
How to install Kodi version 18 Leia on Windows 10 (64 bit)
Kodi 18 is called Kodi Leia, much like other Kodi versions like Kodi Jarvis, Krypton, and now Leia. Many people had asked about the Kodi download setup for Windows 10 (64 bit). Unfortunately it was up to beta Version of Kodi 18 brought to life. This nightly version does all of the basic tasks and runs pretty smoothly as of December 2017. (Check out the best Kodi setup wizards for Leia version 18.)
- Download the latest version of Kodi.
- Navigate in the system to the destination of the downloaded file
- Start the setup
- Click "Yes" when prompted for the Permissions window
- Click “I Agree” to accept the license agreement and continue
- Select all of the options you want and click "Next".
- Choose the location to install Kodi and click "Next."
- The installation will start.
- When the installation is complete, click the “Run Kodi” check box, then click “Finish”.
How to Install Kodi v18 on Windows 10 (Video Tutorial)
How to Install Kodi Version 17.6 on Windows 10 (v17.6 Krypton)
- Download Kodi from the official website or download the app from the Microsoft Store
- Find the destination of the downloaded file and start setup
- Click "Yes"’When you are asked for permission to run the setup wizard
- Select “I Agree” to accept the license agreement and continue
- Select the components you want to install and Click next ’
- Select the destination folder where you want to install Kodi and click "Next".
- Kodi should now begin installing on your system
- When the installation is complete, check the box labeled “Run Kodi” and Click Finish"..
How to Install Kodi on Windows 10 (v16 Jarvis)
- You can download the Jarvis version of Kodi v16 from the Kodi official website. Note, however, that the Kodi v16 Jarvis is not available in the Windows Store as you can only find the latest version (v17 Krypton) ..
- After downloading the setup file from the website, the rest of the configuration steps remain unchanged.
- Here is a video that demonstrates the installation process for Kodi (v16) on Windows 10:
How to install Kodi version 16 on Windows
How to install Kodi on Windows 7
- The Kodi setup process on Windows 7 is similar to Windows 10.
- All you have to do is visit Kodi's official website, navigate to the downloads section on the website, and download the software to your PC or laptop.
- Then run the installation process and follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- Once you have the software installed, launch Kodi TV on your system and enjoy endless online streaming.
How to install Kodi on Windows 8.1
Now, if you're using Windows 8.1 on your device, you can install Kodi using one of three methods:
- Download the software from the Kodi official website
- Visit the Windows Store and download the app
- Both methods of installing Kodi on Windows 8.1 are the same as Windows 10.
So, with the steps highlighted in the section above, you can easily configure Kodi and stream movies, TV series, sports on Kodi and live TV.
Can I install Kodi on Windows XP?
Unfortunately, Kodi stopped supporting Windows XP back in April 2014. As a result, the latest versions of Kodi are no longer compatible with Windows XP. Based on the system requirements for Kodi v17 Krypton, you need at least Windows Vista.
Hence if you look How to install Kodi on Windows XP, You should consider certain alternatives. One of them is to convert your Windows XP PC into a Home Theater PC (HTPC). Linux-based operating systems are best suited for this purpose and are freely available. Consider OpenELEC; It's a quick and easy-to-use Linux distribution that includes XBMC as a dedicated media center.
If turning on your Windows XP system in HTPC is not an option, you can upgrade your operating system to a newer version. On the contrary, you can install older XBMC software (versions prior to version 13.0) on Windows XP. Be aware, however, that you may get the full functionality of Kodi and some of the addons may not work.
Best Windows version for Kodi
Kodi is popular because it is compatible with numerous operating systems. When it comes to Windows, Kodi's performance is flawless and second to none. Kodi works on almost any version of Windows, be it Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10. Another amazing thing is that most Kodi users prefer to use it on Windows.
How to update / update Kodi on Windows
If you're running an older version of Kodi and need an upgrade, the process remains similar. This is because Kodi doesn't offer an automatic updater built into its software. Hence, you need to download the latest version on your device from the official website and follow the installation process to update Kodi on Windows 10 or 8.
In most cases, your settings and library will be saved when you install Kodi v17 over v16 Jarvis. During the installation process you will be asked to overwrite existing files. Choose YES. However, it is recommended that you back up all of your data before upgrading Kodi on Windows. There are several ways to back up your Kodi data:
Method 1: back up data manually
- Click on the "Start" button. and under the search bar enter “% APPDATA% \ kodi \ userdata”
- Open the folder named “User Data”.
- Now copy all the files listed in this folder to another location as a backup
- Download the new version of Kodi from the website and install the software
- Launch Kodi and see if your settings and library are automatically restored
- If not, quit Kodi and paste the backup files back into the user data folder
- After pasting the backup files, restart Kodi and your previous settings should be restored
Method 2: use the backup add-on
Another way to save your Kodi playlist, settings, add-ons, and other data is by using a backup add-on. Here's how you can install the add-on on Kodi v16 Jarvis:
- Start the Kodi application
- Go to Programs
3. Select “More…”.
4. Find “Backup” in the list.
5. Now install the add-on
6. Click on “Open Settings”.
7. Select Browse Remote Path to define the location where you want to save the backup files Click OK.
8. Now select Backup to save your existing library and settings
Kodi on Windows errors / corrections
Connection to the repository failed
This error usually occurs when entering the repository's source url. The reason for this error is an incorrect URL. Sometimes, if the URL is correct, you have included a space at the end which is causing this error.
Make sure that you are entering the correct repository URL and that there are no spaces at the end of the address. Also check your internet connection. Sometimes the network connection is also causing this error.
Add-on installation failed
When trying to install the add-on from the repository, a notification may appear stating that the add-on installation failed.
Check that the repository you are using to install the add-on is functional and its source is active. A problem with the repository causes such errors.
Best addons for Kodi on Windows
You can find hundreds of Kodi add-ons online and all of them. However, if you are using Kodi on Windows, these add-ons are suitable for your needs:
- Neptune rises
- Sports devil
- Magical dragon
- Dog bollocks
How to install add-ons on a Windows PC
Add-ons are additional features that are usually not included in Kodi. These are developed by the Kodi team or by third parties. With the increasing demand for Kodi and streaming, there are many add-ons available in the market.
Various add-ons need to be installed on your Kodi box. Learn how to install the famous Kodi add-ons, We have created a separate guide for most of the add-ons.
Alternative Windows devices for Kodi
- Kodi on Roku
- Kodi on Raspberry Pi
- Kodi on the iPad
- Kodi on Firestick
- Kodi on Apple TV
- Kodi on Xbox One
- Kodi on Nvidia Shield
Tired of streaming on Windows?
If you are already bored with your PC or are thinking of cutting off your TV cables, then buying the best Kodi boxes will help you get the most out of the entertainment. There are several of these set-top boxes in different categories:
- Set up Kodi on Android
- Live television
- Fully loaded boxes
- Legal boxes
That concludes our guide on installing Kodi on Windows. The overall process is very simple. You can use the steps above to configure Kodi on Windows 10, 8.1, and 7. We've also illustrated different methods for backing up your data before upgrading to a newer version.
Once you've set up Kodi on Windows and started streaming your favorite content, you might run into a geographic restriction issue. Some channels on Kodi are limited to certain geographic locations and cannot be accessed from any other region. To fix this problem, you'll need a Kodi VPN. The IP cloaking feature will help you change your virtual location and unblock every channel on Kodi.
Did you find our guide helpful or do you have questions about the setup process? Let us know in the comments below.
- What is meant by an Arduino shield
- Can contain light in a box
- Has humanity stopped its development
- What are examples of new utopias
- What exactly is nucleation
- Facebook Messenger will always be free
- What are the terms of STP
- Can you train ambidextrousness
- Where can I donate clothes in London?
- How computer graphics work
- How was the sun originally lit?
- What is a Tableau data area
- Is Aristotle's Politics worth reading?
- What does IQ
- Do video games cause shootouts or no
- Where should I learn research methodology
- Why is Throwback Thursday a thing
- What is interferon
- Crazy is synonymous with angry
- Is it worth learning Esperanto?
- Computer monitors could be wireless
- What is considered a good weapon
- Where do algae come from
- How can you earn 2 online
- What music is Russia known for?
- What is the VAT payment
- What is bio-producer
- What is the collective word for women
- What do you think of fringe sciences
- How old is your house
- How would you describe the water cycle
- How did Mauritania become an Islamic country
- A Catholic marriage can be annulled
- Will agriculture experience a data boom?