What does a BSN qualification stand for?

Burger service number

Do I need a burger service number?

You will need a burgerservicenummer (BSN) for most authority matters in the Netherlands. The BSN is a personal number made up of 9 digits.

  • For example, your employer needs your BSN. He uses it to regulate certain matters, for example with the stressing service (Dutch tax office) and your pension fund.
  • The BSN is also required in the healthcare sector. You can be asked for your BSN when visiting a doctor, at the hospital or at the pharmacy in the Netherlands.
  • Are you applying for an Anw survivor benefit from the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB)? Then the SVB has to register your personal data with a BSN.
  • Are you applying for supplements to the debit service or child benefit from the SVB? Then these carriers have to register the personal details of their family members with a BSN.

How do I get a BSN if I want to work or study in the Netherlands?

A different procedure applies to people who work or study in the Netherlands and stay in their country of origin: register with a Dutch municipality with a counter for people who are not residents of the Netherlands. This municipality registers you as a “non-resident” in the Dutch population register (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP for short). After registration you will receive a copy with your BSN.

Registration is possible in one of the following municipalities: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, The Hague, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Goes, Groningen / Eemshaven, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Zwolle.

Please note: If you have housing in the Netherlands and you have been in the Netherlands for at least 4 months in a period of 6 months, then register with the municipality in which your home is located. You will then receive your BSN from this municipality.

How do I get a BSN for my partner?

If you want to apply for a surcharge from the debit service and you have a surcharge partner, then your partner must have a BSN. Your partner can register as a non-resident with one of the Dutch municipalities, which have a special desk for this. If this is not possible, use the form “Verzoek burgerservicenummer toeslagpartner buitenland” (only in Dutch). You can download the form from the website or request it from the international tax hotline (LadeingTelefoon Buitenland).

How do I get a BSN for my child?

If you want to apply for a Dutch childcare allowance or child budget from abroad, your child must also have a BSN. The BSN is automatically assigned when you apply for child benefit at Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB). Are you still not receiving child benefit from the Netherlands? Then contact the SVB and submit your application for child benefit. The SVB ensures that your child is registered as a non-resident in the Dutch population register (BRP). You will then receive a letter from the Dutch Ministry of the Interior with your child's BSN.

How do I get a BSN when applying for an Anw survivor benefit?

If your partner died and lived or worked in the Netherlands, you can apply for an Anw survivor benefit from the SVB. You need a BSN, but you do not need to apply for one yourself. As soon as you apply for the Anw benefit, the SVB will ensure that you are registered as a non-resident in the Dutch population register (BRP). You will then receive a notification from the SVB with your BSN.