Contains DNA pentose sugar
Encounters with nature 8, textbook
The structure of DNA DNA molecules are giant molecules made up of thousands of nucleotides. DNA nucleotides consist of the pentose deoxyribose, an organic base (guanine, cytosine, adenine, thymine) attached to the first carbon atom of sugar (C 1) and a phosphate group attached to the fifth carbon atom of the sugar molecule (C 5) is (see Fig. 4a). The individual nucleotides are linked to form chains via the phosphate group and the OH group of the sugar on the third carbon atom (C 3) with elimination of water. As can be seen in Fig. 4c, the nucleotide chains thus have one end with an OH group, the so-called 3‘ end, and one with a phosphate residue (5‘ end). In each case two nucleotide chains are connected in opposite directions (antiparallel) via the bases (via hydrogen bonds) like a rope ladder to form a double strand. The molecular structure of the bases only enables bonds between adenine and thymine, guanine and cytosine (specific base pairing). The double strand is spirally wound, it is referred to as a double helix (see Fig. 4b). Giant molecules very long chain-like molecules nucleotides building blocks of nucleic acids (deoxyribo nucleic acid DNA and ribonucleic acid RNA) pentose sugar, whose carbon backbone contains five carbon atoms specific base pairing adenine and thymine form two hydrogen bonds, guanine and cytosine three hydrogen bonds. Double helix helix (Greek) = twist The structure of DNA A… adenine T… thymine G… guanine C… cytosine P… phosphate group Z… sugar a) b) c) 4 DNA structure. a) nucleotide b) double helix c) structure of a section of a DNA chain workbook pages 10, 11, 17, 19 M 3 James D. Watson and Francis Crick 21 For testing purposes only - property of the publisher öbv
Made with FlippingBookRkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy ODE3MDE =
- Are Weber grills worth it
- What is the smallest wave ever recorded
- Why is Joe Pesci famous
- Will HBO have any restrictions now?
- How does carbon affect the atmosphere?
- What is the temperature in Dubai in February
- How to code quickly
- Which process increases the variation in bacteria
- How efficient is the Apache Nutch crawler
- Can you hack WiFi on Android?
- Why are Americans white
- Gout causes poor kidney function
- Why do the city lights flicker
- Are cinnamon rolls from Sweden overrated
- Females have periods
- What makes us different from animals
- What is a 50000 word paper
- In Urdu, what's your name?
- When should I learn Twitter Bootstrap
- How did Chelsea become a great club
- What is the Average GPA for Billionaires
- What is 120 out of 540
- What makes a person mentally retarded
- Xanax helps with insomnia