Why are most dental hygienists female
Dental hygienist: Dental employee with a future
When your teeth hurt, it's usually too late. Then a trusted dentist has to come to his mouth with a drill, syringe and other device. It is better to have your teeth professionally cleaned in the dental practice at regular intervals. But the dentist doesn't necessarily have to do this himself. "To a large extent, tooth decay and periodontitis can be avoided with preventive professional tooth cleaning. Dental hygienists are trained to specialize in cleaning teeth and maintaining oral health," says Irene Thiesen. She is a qualified dental hygienist and president of the Professional Association of German Dental Hygienists (BDDH).
Dental hygienists are primarily active prophylactically in order to prevent damage from occurring in the first place. However, if the patient is already suffering from periodontal diseases such as gingivitis or periodontitis, the specialists also apply therapeutic measures. They also advise the patient. Because many diseases or damage can be prevented with a changed diet or oral hygiene.
Dental hygienists are usually part of the team in the dental office. The doctor could take over all of their activities himself, but there are advantages if specially trained specialists are employed here. The biggest one is the relief of the doctors. "The dentists can concentrate on other tasks and hand over areas such as prevention and therapy for periodontal patients to the dental hygienist. This way, the time resources can be used much better," says Thiesen.
If you want to work in this profession, you need a completed training as a dental assistant as well as further training as a dental prophylaxis assistant. As part of the training, which is offered as advanced training, the basics of biology, anatomy, histology, chemistry, microbiology, pharmacology, instrument and material science, law, psychology as well as nutrition and periodontology are taught.
99 percent of the employees are women
But not only specific specialist knowledge is required for the work. Dental hygienists should be able to deal with people well and have empathy. Motor and manual skills are particularly important for the work. Yes, by hand. "We are actually doing manual work in the patient's mouth," says Thiesen. And even if it is mainly about teeth cleaning: Many patients are afraid or feel uncomfortable. Therefore empathy is very important.
Profession of the Week
Have you ever seen an explosive ordnance disposal facility or a bird controller at work? Every week we put an unusual job on our series Profession of the Week in front.
Do you have an unusual job or do you know someone who is the last of his or her class, has invented a new profession or has an unfamiliar job? Then write to us and we will soon introduce you and your job in the series!
You can read all the episodes here!
Buy as an e-book
You can also buy the best episodes as an e-book: www.zeit.de/ebooks.
Incidentally, Thiesen deliberately chooses the feminine form of the job title, because men are rarely seen in this job. "A good 99 percent of the employees are women." And their chances of getting a job are very good, because female dental hygienists are in demand - both as employees and on a freelance basis.
Despite good career opportunities and interesting areas of responsibility, the job also has negative aspects. So the physical strain during work should not be underestimated. "Your hands, arms and back are already strained while you work, because most of the time you sit at work and instrumentation in the oral cavity also requires strength," says Thiesen.
For the dental hygienist, however, the positive aspects of her job far outweigh her. "We are in close contact with people and make a valuable contribution to maintaining a patient's health."
- Salary: no information
- Working hours: The job can be carried out full-time or part-time, so the working hours vary.
- Training: The prerequisite for further training as a dental hygienist is completed professional training as a dental assistant and further training as a dental prophylaxis assistant,
- What is roll misalignment in pipelines
- What causes chondrial sarcoma
- Facebook Messenger will always be free
- Which console should I buy
- Are Buffalo Wings from Buffalo
- Why am I falling apart mentally physically
- How was Home Depot hacked
- How are mobile game apps monetized
- What are some ways to prevent disease
- Who oversees cosmetics and personal care products
- What is an international dealer account
- Why do we long for carbonic acid?
- What is the genocide in Rwanda
- Develops the esteem for others our personality
- How similar are Ukrainian and Polish
- Why do people relate to poverty
- What are some examples of biology
- How do I prepare carbon fiber composites
- Can we reverse flueches
- Which plants attack aphids
- What are some nice fountain pens
- How do you analyze your life
- Why were basketball players sometimes called cagers
- Regret moving to New England