Hairdressing is a stressful career
Burnout vs. Boreout: The most stressful and relaxed jobs
Would you describe your own job as stressful? Probably yes, because every third German feels overwhelmed by their work, according to a study. But would you describe your job as the most stressful job of all? The career magazine CareerCast has tried to filter out the most stressful jobs.
Who has the most stress - and who the least
The order of the most stressful jobs was not determined arbitrarily, but was based on eleven criteria that are responsible for stress at work:
- Scope of business trips
- Prospects for a raise
- tight deadlines
- Work in the public eye
- Competitive thinking
- high physical demands
- Work environment and environment
- imminent dangers
- Danger to your own life
- Danger to the lives of others
- public performances
When you look at these stressors, it may come as no surprise that soldiers, firefighters, traffic pilots and police officers top the list. But supposedly less spectacular jobs such as event managers, press officers, top managers, broadcasters, newspaper journalists and taxi drivers also make it into the top 10 most stressful jobs.
On the other hand, there are those jobs that do not meet these criteria or only meet them to a limited extent. Examination is one of the least stressful jobs:
- medical laboratory technician
- Data collector for patient records
- hair stylist
- University professor
- Ultrasound diagnostician
- Information security advisor
Stress is very individual
It is obvious that many of our readers will not be completely satisfied with this list. If you asked the general public about what stresses them out about their job, you might hear:
- too long working hours or a lot of overtime
- too high workload due to sickness and vacation cover
- Trouble with the boss or bad leadership style
- Quarrel with colleagues up to bullying
- strong deadline and performance pressure
- frequent work breaks
- necessary waiver of breaks
- constant availability during leisure time
None of these are factors that can be measured in statistics and expressed in general terms. Surely everyone will admit that pilots generally have an extremely stressful job - but can that also easily be transferred to secretaries? No, because where there are assistants who juggle umpteen individual tasks all day and keep track of things, there are also classic secretaries who primarily take calls and make coffee. How should the stress level of these two workers be expressed in numbers?
In addition, stress is perceived as very individual. One of them really gets into top form with a tight deadline and can get the most out of himself (we already talked about the positive effects of short-term stress). The other buckles under the strain like a thin straw. While some like to be “needed” during their free time, others just want to switch off when they leave their place of work.
Ways out of stress
What stresses us is as different as the people themselves. That is precisely the reason why so many employees are convinced that things cannot get much more stressful, even though they do not even begin to know the life of firefighters or pilots. The sensation is shaped by personal experiences, one's own history, character and one's own physical constitution.
The only important thing is that you find a way to deal with the stress of your own job. Knowing that others are even more stressed only helps to a limited extent. So if you suffer from excessive stress, you should therefore think about a change of scenery. If conversations with the boss do not help to reduce the workload or the stress factors, a change in industry and / or work can bring about a change. But beware of too much pink painting: almost every job is stressful - even if it is the supposedly boring job of the librarian. The path from rain to eaves is known to be short.
What do you think, which jobs are really the most stressful?
Sabine Hutter has been working as an online editor and copywriter since 2008. As a business economist and HR manager, she prefers to write on topics related to human resources and online marketing.
- It is worth buying a Turbotax
- Are torpedoes still a current armament?
- What is the structure of sulfur trioxide
- How a wild horse is tamed
- What is a SWOP proof
- What is the vitality of ancient English
- Boring is a taste
- What is the new Oreo taste secret
- Who do you distrust
- How did California get so blue
- Can you measure plasma
- Who made people in the DC Extended Universe
- What math is needed in fashion design
- What is TTY
- Who likes to masturbate
- Why is Pune Airport so poorly maintained
- How do giant squids fight sharks
- What is an emotionally abusive girlfriend
- How is a summer internship
- How long does an enzyme take
- Does the snake fence work
- Which book changed your perspective
- Why do we fill tires with air?
- Who will win Dance Plus 3