What is GDPR in Email Marketing
GDPR Email advertising
Sending newsletters or e-mail advertising is a constant in online marketing. In principle, the prohibition with reservation of permission also applies here to the processing of personal data. The processing is only lawful if either the data subject's consent or a legal justification is given. When sending e-mail advertising, this could be the safeguarding of the controller's legitimate interests. Recital 47 of the General Data Protection Regulation expressly states that the law also recognizes the processing of personal data for the purpose of direct marketing as a legitimate interest of the person responsible.
In addition, such an interest could exist, for example, if there is a relevant and appropriate relationship between the data subject and the person responsible. For example, if the person concerned is a customer of the person responsible or is in his service. Therefore, there is much to be said for the interpretation that e-mail advertising is permitted without consent, at least for existing customers. If the company can demonstrate a legitimate interest in cold calling through email advertising, the advertising emails could also be permitted to potential customers without consent. In order not to receive any further information by newsletter or email, the customer addressed only has to object to the processing for advertising purposes.
However, it should be noted that, according to Art. 95, the General Data Protection Regulation should only apply to all data protection issues, unless special regulations with the same regulatory objective result from the ePrivacy Directive (see also recital 173). As a result, e-mail advertising is currently only permitted with the consent of the person concerned. (Art. 13 para. 1 Directive 2002/58 / EC) It remains to be seen whether the upcoming ePrivacy Regulation will provide more clarity on this issue.
Regardless of whether a company subsequently bases the advertising measure on a legitimate interest or on consent, there are extensive information obligations for the person responsible for the recipient of the e-mail advertising. These differ in content depending on the chosen justification reason.
- Data protection conference DSK ► Short paper No. 3 - Processing of personal data for advertising (Link)
- Data protection conference DSK ► Orientation aid for the processing of personal data for the purposes of direct mail (link)
- Data Protection Authority Bavaria ► Processing of personal data for advertising (Link)
- Data Protection Authority UK ► Direct marketing (Link)
- Ryte ► Data protection 2018 - What online marketers should know and do (Link)
- Data protection notes ► Send newsletters in accordance with the law and specific tips on using MailPoet (Link)
- IHK Saarland ► Processing of personal data for advertising purposes (Link)
- Who is the Norse god of destruction
- What is the credit quality risk
- Why can online stores attract customers?
- AutoZone can charge your battery
- Working freebies for a product launch
- Is Desi Cow Ghee good for your health
- Is Google Home a home automation system
- How did you celebrate your 50th birthday
- What is the production of sulfur dioxide
- Who founded Area 51
- Can YouTube videos be reliable sources?
- How is juice a lime
- Windmills slow down the wind
- In which county is Kansas City, MO
- Where do you use prisons in cities
- In which fields can Golang be used
- Is a Canon 700D better for beginners
- Peacock spiders pee
- How Can I Improve Effective Telephone Skills
- How can I create a certification authority
- Judges always rule according to party-political standards
- Ajura has been integrated into Siri
- Should I chew aspirin for faster results
- Do you prefer Monterey or Santa Barbara
- 3D printers come with CAD software
- What is bond paper and contract paper
- What are some secrets about charter schools
- How do you take a company on the stock exchange
- Community college is cheap
- What is deep brain stimulation
- How many watts is 25 miles per hour
- Are German students smarter than American students
- Are force fields real
- What's the best French film