How are neutron stars discovered
When the nuclear fuel in the core of a massive star is exhausted, this core collapses under the enormous forces of its own gravity within milliseconds. The released energy breaks off the outer shell of the star, which can be observed as a supernova. Inside, gravity compresses the nucleus so much that even the atoms are destroyed by converting protons and electrons into neutrons and neutrinos. This is the birth of a neutron star, which can be called, somewhat simplified, a gigantic atomic nucleus with a radius of about 12 km and 500,000 Earth masses. In the center of a neutron star, several hundred million tons of matter are compressed to one cubic centimeter. Some of these neutron stars rotate so fast that they can make several hundred revolutions per second. They represent the most extreme form of matter in the observable universe.
Pulsars are rapidly rotating neutron stars with a strong magnetic field, which preferentially emit electromagnetic radiation along the poles. If the magnet axis is inclined to the axis of rotation, the neutron star's own rotation creates a “cosmic lighthouse” that flashes at regular intervals. The discovery of the first pulsar was made in 1967 by Jocelyn Bell and Antony Hewish. Since then, pulsars have become one of the most exciting fields of research in modern astrophysics.
In recent years it has become clear that the previously known population of radio-loud neutron stars was incomplete. New manifestations of neutron stars have been discovered: In addition to the new class of sporadic ("intermittent") pulsars, the discovery of rotating radio transients (RRATs) led to the realization that there is a new class of neutron stars, which is possibly the number of the known neutron stars in the Milky Way by a factor of 3-4. In addition, the discovery of transient radio signals - e.g. in magnetars - has made it clear that some sources are only visible as radio sources at certain times.
Development of binary systems
- What's good about Michigan?
- Which is worse racism or murder
- Can red wine be chilled
- Is it illegal to curse someone?
- What is your deepest shower thought
- What is fetal ketonuria
- Who are the most famous Kundalini Masters
- Why do websites crash due to traffic
- Wormtail really took care of Harry
- What are the best IAS coaching institutions
- What is ammonium sulfate made of
- Has XAMPP PHP
- Are you a perfect person
- Why don't wisdom teeth break out properly
- How can I get my mind going again?
- What is a sailor's song
- Can I play GTA VCS on Android?
- You should take responsibility for other errors
- Who sells gold furniture
- What happens to the elderly homeless
- Is Quora overwhelmed
- What's new with the iPhone Xs display
- Why should anyone like the band super-silent?
- How many Democrats are running for President
- How is a magnetic moment created
- Can support MacBook Pro 2 monitors
- What is the degree of the cubic polynomial
- Why isn't C dead yet
- How can I create a certification authority
- Chewing gum ruins your teeth
- Which river flows from south to north?
- What is KLIN
- How many google fonts are there
- Name of your first dog