Why do Maserati cars lose value so quickly?
Used e-cars: why are they losing value so quickly?
The used car market for e-cars is not having an easy time of it at the moment - because sellers usually cannot charge a price that is too high. In the future, this could not only be problematic for owners.
The boom in new electric cars, driven by high premiums, is causing the value of used electric vehicles to plummet. The residual values of three-year-old electric vehicles are currently around a tenth lower than they were for comparable cars a year ago, as an evaluation by Deutsche Automobil Treuhand (DAT) shows. In addition, electric cars are currently losing value much faster than gasoline or diesel vehicles.
Buying a used car is often not attractive
"The used car market for battery-electric cars is having a hard time," says the head of DAT vehicle valuation Martin Weiss. "The price difference between a new and a used electric car is often too small to be attractive for the buyer to buy the used car. On the one hand, the promotion of new cars depresses the price, on the other hand, the technology is still developing rapidly." Every used car seller quickly runs out of arguments. "
In February 2020, the residual value of a typical three-year-old electric car was still roughly the same as that of a gasoline-powered car at a good 56 percent of the list price. But while this number has remained more or less constant for gasoline-powered vehicles, it has now dropped to less than 51 percent for electric cars. And this is only half the story, says Weiss: "If you only look at the smaller segments, their depreciation is much more dramatic."
Leasing rates could also rise
While the lower prices should please prospective buyers, they are problematic for owners of electric cars if they want to sell them. The drop in prices for used vehicles could also affect the leasing rates for vehicles of this type in the medium term and make them more expensive.
more on the subject
- Electric car,
- New car,
- Gasoline engine,
- Used car market,
- Diesel vehicles,
- Used cars,
- Advisory News
- What is ammonium sulfate made of
- How does mining affect water quality
- Gentrification affects Asian countries
- Assam was challenged by Pakistan
- How much chemistry does geophysics involve
- What will help you save money
- How effective is astrological prediction
- How do doctors diagnose depression
- How was the PBS site successfully hacked
- Which is best tavor or m16
- What is the future of black metal
- When was the baseball game invented
- How long should a mechanical pencil last?
- How can I create self-assessment material
- How can I get Twitter followers
- Why do I sometimes hesitate all the time
- Which is better Paytm or Google Pay
- Are there Estonians living in Latvia?
- How about a hassle-free English method?
- What are Richie Lee's companies doing
- What's your only ultimate question
- Exfoliating your lips makes them look bigger
- Can an apartheid state be a democracy
- Where is Phuket located