What is interferon
InterferonsDrug groupsTherapeutic Proteins Interferons are active ingredients from the group of recombinant therapeutic proteins with antiviral, antitumoral and immunomodulating properties. These are the body's own cytokines that are produced using biotechnological methods. Interferons are used in diseases of the immune system such as multiple sclerosis, cancer, and infectious diseases. They are usually injected subcutaneously. Typical adverse effects are reactions at the injection site and flu-like symptoms such as chills, fever, fatigue, and muscle and joint pain.
Interferons are only available as injection preparations, for example in the form of pre-filled syringes. They are stored in the refrigerator at 2 to 8 ° C. The body's own cytokines were discovered in the 1950s.Structure and properties
Interferons are proteins with a molecular weight between 15 and 21 kDa. Today they are manufactured using biotechnological methods. There are several types, including the alpha, beta, and gamma interferons:
- IFN-α (leukocytes)
- IFN-β (fibroblasts)
- IFN-γ (lymphocytes)
Pegylated interferons are linked to a PEG chain and have a longer duration of action.Effects
Interferons (ATC L03AB) have antiviral, antitumoral (antiproliferative), antiangiogenic and immunomodulating properties. These are the body's own proteins that are produced by the immune system, among other things, in response to a virus infection. Interferons bind to interferon receptors on the cell surface and, among other things, influence gene expression and activate antiviral enzymes. The half-life of non-pegylated active ingredients is in the range of a few hours. Peginterferons, on the other hand, have a longer half-life, for example 40 to 80 hours.Indications
The fields of application for the interferons are shown below. Not all representatives are approved for all indications:
Immune system disorders:
According to the specialist information. The medicines are usually injected subcutaneously. For the symptomatic treatment of flu-like side effects, paracetmol can be administered.Active ingredientsContraindications
- Psychiatric illnesses, major depression
- Severe liver dysfunction
- Renal dysfunction
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding (depending on the active ingredient)
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Interferons can affect the activity of the CYP450 isoenzymes.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include (selection):see also
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA)
- Clanet M., Cucheratt M. Interferons in relapsing remitting MS: a systematic review comments on a meta-analysis. Int MS J, 2003, 10 (4), 134-5 Pubmed
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Foster G.R. Review article: pegylated interferons: chemical and clinical differences. Aliment Pharmacol Ther, 2004, 20 (8), 825-30 Pubmed
- Ghosh D, Ghosh D, Parida P. Physiological Proteins in Therapeutics: A Current Review on Interferons. Mini Rev Med Chem, 2016, 16 (12), 947-52 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 8/13/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Why do people feel drawn to one another?
- Are MD and MS the same
- Cognitive Neuroscience The I is a myth
- A BPharm is difficult to track
- How is a cell structure labeled?
- Will Acorns is going to be a bank soon
- How environmentally conscious are Algerians
- How does an art sales company work
- What would I need for a non-gateway
- Who was the fattest queen in history
- What are some great scientific biographies
- How bad are bilateral polycystic ovaries
- What are some examples of interpersonal situation
- How is paint made 1
- Color influences purchasing decisions
- How can I promote travel in Africa
- Who would win Taskmaster against Widowmaker?
- Are beer bottle caps recyclable
- How photography helped change the world 2
- Folk music is becoming increasingly popular
- What is the importance of Kiev
- Why do violins have scrolls
- Is blockchain a FinTech?
- What should I know until 18 to learn