What do such monkeys not do
New study: great apes lack a critical skill
The animals already understand: this is about a nut. You can learn the know-what and know-where, that is also well documented. The what and where is thus clarified. But the decisive factor in the long term is how - the know-how. And they do not learn this ability to crack a nut through imitation. Sometimes they need years to acquire them - but that is more likely due to their general motor development. Orangutans, for example, don't crack any nuts in the wild. But if you give them some, orangutans will pound nuts too. However, this know-how takes place spontaneously and purely individually - and not because they copied it. We tested that on orangutans who never saw nutcrackers.
So can it be that we often interpret far too much into animal behavior?
Yes. On the one hand, because it just seems natural to us, we just can't get out of our skin. Our culture is massively based on the fact that we pass on the knowledge we have learned to the next generation. On the other hand, because anthropomorphism, i.e. the attribution of human characteristics to animals, is deeply rooted to this day.
Is our cultural ability to copy knowledge ultimately the decisive point in which humans differ from apes?
Exactly. For many people it is obviously a nice idea that great apes are very similar to us in their abilities. They are, in some abilities. But they lack other skills. And the key skill of the know-how copy is one of the list of missing skills.
- Is the Google interview process justified
- Can Siri reset your phone
- Could China successfully invade Mexico without interference
- Why are we afraid of ghosts
- How can I get traffic today
- Schedule an operation
- Does anyone in England have Belgian ancestry?
- How SEO can affect the future of companies
- How do I prepare for chemical engineering
- Can the consumption of honey regularly trigger diabetics?
- How strategically important is the Shandong Peninsula
- My dog hates me
- How would you create a prototype of a beverage starter
- How did the first president die
- How can I find an attractive man
- What are the weapons of the jokers
- How could I hug my teacher
- There is a molecule with an atom
- Why is networking important in social work
- How do I activate an Uber account
- What do liberals think of the Canadian government?
- Ashwagandha can be consumed regularly for months
- What are two meanings for consciousness
- What is kimchi