Is SGPT 60 a high number
Is the enzyme in the blood GPT increased, this usually speaks for liver damage. This is especially true when other liver enzymes (such as GOT) are too high. Read here which diseases can be the reason when the liver is damaged and the GPT is increased.
When is the GPT value increased?
If, according to a blood test, the enzyme glutamate pyruvate transaminase (GPT) is increased, it is usually due to liver cell destruction: the enzyme is found in high concentrations in the liver cells and is released into the blood when cells are damaged. A biliary tract disease can also be the reason for the increase in GPT. Overall, the following diseases in particular come into question as the cause of an increase in GPT:
- Inflammation of the liver caused by viruses (hepatitis A, B, C, D and E)
- Liver damage from poisons (such as fungal poisons)
- Liver damage from medication
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Congested liver
- Fatty liver
- Liver tumors (such as liver cancer) and colonization of malignant tumors in the liver (metastases)
- Inflammation of the bile ducts (cholangitis)
- Biliary obstruction (cholestasis)
GPT is particularly elevated in overweight people who consume alcohol excessively. Both factors - a high-fat diet and regular alcohol consumption - can also independently of one another cause excessive fat to be stored in the liver. This fatty liver can lead to cirrhosis (replacement of healthy liver tissue with connective tissue) and ultimately liver failure. The doctor can recognize such serious liver diseases, among other things, if liver values such as the GPT value are increased.
Hemolysis (breakdown of red blood cells) can also be the cause if the GPT level is too high. Because the enzyme is also contained in the red blood cells and is released when they disintegrate. Hemolysis can be caused, for example, by severe infections, poisoning or prosthetic heart valves.
GPT can be increased even after vigorous physical exertion.
GPT increased: when is there a danger?
In many cases it is not a concern if the GPT is slightly increased. However, liver disease requiring therapy should be ruled out in people with frequently elevated measured values. This is especially true if other liver values are also elevated at the same time.
GPT increased: how does the doctor find the cause?
If the liver values GOT, Gamma-GT and GPT are increased, the doctor will ask exactly about the symptoms and medical history to clarify possible liver damage. Typical questions are, for example:
- Do you have pain in your right upper abdomen?
- Have you ever noticed yellowing of your skin or eyes?
- Do you have one or more of the following symptoms: spider-shaped veins of the skin, shiny redness of the palms, frequent gas, persistent severe itching, blood in your stool?
- What medications are you taking?
- Was the last time you stayed abroad?
- Do you have liver disease in your family?
This information will help the doctor clarify why liver values are like that GPT increased is. In addition, there are physical examinations and imaging procedures such as ultrasound. Once the cause has been determined, suitable therapy can be initiated.
Author & source information
- What are some good books on society
- Why are some companies more successful than others
- What is the scope of freelance work
- What is classical math
- How do Scantron machines work
- Who is the King of the British now?
- Are black lives really important in America
- What is the best fishing boat
- The cause of harassment is important
- Are all non-contact forces conservative
- Which laptop should I buy within 60000
- 1980 is a good SAT score
- What are codominant alleles
- Is spiritualism associated with witchcraft and necromancy
- What is considered supernatural in science
- Is the Flex Seal Tape flammable
- What is the MPC equation
- What was your biggest mistake in life
- Which Asics shoe is best for cricket?
- Which of these universities should I choose?
- How is tramadol used to treat anxiety
- What do Koreans think of Hungary
- What is the square root of 444
- How yogis float in the air