What are dextrostat side effects
DexamphetamineDrug groupsAmphetamineDexamphetamine is a centrally stimulating and sympathomimetic active ingredient from the group of amphetamines, which is used for the treatment of attention deficit / hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is the D-enantiomer of amphetamine. The effects are based on an amplification of the effects of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine. Dexamphetamine can cause numerous side effects, primarily affecting the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, and digestive tract. Amphetamine can be abused as an intoxicant and smart drug and can make you addicted.
synonymous: dexamphetaminum, dexamfetamine, dexamfetaminum, dexamfetamini sulfas, dexamphetamine sulfate, dexamfetamine hemisulfate, dextroamphetamine, Dexedrine®Products
Dexamphetamine was again approved in Switzerland in 2020 in the form of tablets (Attentin®). The Dexamin® tablets (5 mg, Streuli) are no longer available. The prodrug Lisdexamphetamine (Elvanse®) is also available. Dexamphetamine is one of the narcotic drugs.Structure and properties
Dexamphetamine sulfate is usually found in drugs as dexamphetamine sulfate (C.18H28N2O4S, Mr = 368.5) is a white, crystalline powder that is easily soluble in water. It is the D- resp. S.-Enantiomer of the racemate amphetamine. Dexamphetamine is structurally related to the catecholamines and belongs to the phenylethylamines.
Dextroamphetamine (ATC N06BA02) indirectly has sympathomimetic, centrally stimulating and appetite-suppressing properties. It increases blood pressure, stimulates breathing, and dilates the bronchi. The effects are based on an amplification of the effects of dopamine and norepinephrine in the central nervous system. Dextroamphetamine increases the release and reduces the reuptake of neurotransmitters. The half-life is about 10 hours.
Mechanism of action of the sympathomimetics, click to enlarge. Illustration © PharmaWikiapplication areas
- Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder ADHD
No approval in Switzerland:dosage
According to the specialist information. The treatment is started gradually and the dose is adjusted individually. The tablets are taken with or immediately after a meal.abuse
Dexamphetamine is abused as a stimulating and euphoric intoxicant, as a smart drug and doping agent. Due to the health risks, abuse is strongly discouraged. Deaths have been reported.Contraindications
- Treatment with MAO inhibitors
- Hyperthyroidism, thyrotoxicosis
- Anxiety and agitation
- Severe depression, anorexia nervosa, anorectic disorders, suicidal tendencies, psychotic symptoms, severe mood disorders, mania, schizophrenia, psychopathic or borderline personality disorders
- Tourette's syndrome or similar dystonias
- Severe and Episodic (Type I) Bipolar Affective Disorders
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- pregnancy and breast feeding period
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the medicinal product information sheet.Interactions
Dexamphetamine has a high potential for drug interactions, for example with MAO inhibitors (contraindicated), antidepressants, sympathomimetics and neuroleptics.unwanted effects
The most common possible adverse effects include:
- Cardiovascular system: cardiac arrhythmias, palpable heartbeats, rapid pulse, high blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal tract: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, lack of appetite, reduced weight and height gain with prolonged use in children
- Central nervous system: dizziness, movement disorders, headache, hyperactivity, insomnia, nervousness, abnormal behavior, aggressiveness, agitation and anxiety, depression, irritability
- Musculoskeletal system: joint pain
Dexamphetamine can lead to tolerance and psychological and physical dependence. Withdrawal too quickly leads to withdrawal symptoms.see also
Amphetamine, lisdexamphetamine, ADHDliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA, D)
- Codex Galenica (2000/01)
- Paterson R., Douglas C., Hallmayer J., Hagan M., Krupenia Z. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of dexamphetamine in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Aust N Z J Psychiatry, 1999, 33 (4), 494-502 Pubmed
- Pharmacopoea Helvetica
- Poulton A.S., Hibbert E.J., Champion B.L., Cook T.L., Alais D., Coulshed D.S. Piloting a new approach to the treatment of obesity using dexamphetamine. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne), 2015, 6, 14 Pubmed
- Schrantee A. et al. Dopaminergic system dysfunction in recreational dexamphetamine users. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2015, 40 (5), 1172-80 Pubmed
- Simons R., Martens M., Ramaekers J., Krul A., Klöpping-Ketelaars I., Skopp G. Effects of dexamphetamine with and without alcohol on simulated driving. Psychopharmacology (Berl), 2012, 222 (3), 391-9 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 3/14/2021.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Which web server does Google use
- How did Jesus change Judaism
- Do you love happiness
- Most Georgia people wear black
- When did you become a successful writer?
- How can I learn about visual communication?
- What did Aristotle think of work
- Does an IEP affect college acceptance
- How do I meditate without feeling dizzy
- Have Vedic knowledge of space planets
- Why does Bucharest sometimes get a bad reputation
- What are the transmission losses
- How is Antarctica governed
- Have you ever visited my website
- Who is the most underrated pop performer
- Why did Dean Ambrose leave WWE
- What does it mean?
- What is the oldest form of aerial art
- How do I hide dislikes on YouTube
- Which rapper has the most hits
- What is the process of cooking kadhi
- What are some little things narcissists do
- How would you make goatskin fireproof?
- Got your high school freshman Friday