Will cemeteries be built over at some point?

Salzstreuner - city magazine for Bad Salzuflen

There are eighteen cemeteries in the urban area, some of which are feared for their continued existence.

The funeral system in Bad Salzuflen has always been subject to change. The city chronicle records finds of burial places that go back to the pre-Roman Iron Age - i.e. up to 300 years before the birth of Christ. The oldest cemetery in the city center was at the town church, which was built around 1400. Only after 1840 this cemetery was closed and leveled. From then on, the area served as a courtyard or square for the city school opposite. The remains of the deceased were found here even in the 1990s. They were reburied in the cemetery on what is now Rudolph-Brandes-Allee, which was still outside the city gates around 1840.

During the construction of the Rudolph-Brandes-Allee, the once rectangular churchyard was cut to size, and re-beds had to be carried out again. According to a council resolution passed in 2017, the cemetery will at some point only continue to exist as a memorial.

In 1885 today's cemetery was built between Herford Street and Gröchteweg. At the end of the First World War, the Obernbergfriedhof was also laid out. Every year the wreaths are laid here on the day of national mourning. The two Jewish cemeteries in Bad Salzuflen and Schötmar are only monuments today. The resting place at the Werrefriedhof in the Oerlinghauser Straße was occupied until 1955, the last burial in the Salzufler Judenkirchhof on the Werler Straße took place in 1939. The latter was first mentioned in a document in 1607 and is considered one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries in Lippe. In 1941 the site was confiscated by the Nazis and sold to a merchant. He had a large part of the tombstones cleared away. After 1945 the cemetery was partially built over with a hall until the city acquired the entire cemetery site in 1987. After the hall was demolished, the site was redesigned. Since November 9, 1989, a memorial stone has been commemorating the 63 Holocaust victims of the former Jewish communities of Schötmar and Bad Salzuflen.