Beta-thalassemia causes mild palpitations
Anemia can be both harmless and serious
People with anemia (anemia) have a lack of red blood cells (erythrocytes) or red blood pigment (hemoglobin). The result: the body is not supplied with sufficient oxygen.
“Anemia can have a variety of causes. Experts roughly differentiate between anemia caused by blood loss or breakdown or because of a blood formation disorder, "explains Dr. Reinhold Lunow, internist and medical director of the Bornheim practice clinic near Cologne and Bonn." In Europe, about 80% of the cases iron deficiency anemia is the cause of anemia. This mainly affects women, especially because of their menstrual bleeding. You suffer from tiredness, pale skin, rapid exhaustion, shortness of breath, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, cold hands and feet. "
In addition to iron deficiency, a chronic illness can also be the cause of anemia, such as B. cancer, HIV / AIDS, rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease. In very rare cases the body, i. H. the bone marrow, no longer making enough blood cells. This is life threatening. Sometimes, however, the production does not match the loss of red blood cells, e.g. B. has a blood metabolic disease.
Fatigue and palpitations can be signs
"If constant fatigue for no apparent cause makes everyday work difficult and the heart seems to stumble occasionally, patients should definitely see an internist. These are signs that the body is no longer getting enough oxygen through the blood cells and the heart has to pump more blood through it so that he can compensate for the lack of oxygen, "warns Dr. Lunow." With a comprehensive blood analysis, the doctor can determine the actual extent of the anemia and also recognize or at least narrow down the possible causes so that further examinations can be carried out, "adds the medical director of the practice clinic Bornheim.
Treatment for anemia depends on the causes. “It is important to identify the anemia at an early stage in the course of clarifying the symptoms mentioned or as part of a health check. Therapy then builds on this, ”says Dr. Lunow.
At an appointment, patients should inform the doctor whether they are currently on a diet. “The best thing to do is to make a note of the symptoms that you notice in advance. But stress in your life or changes are also important information. You should inform your doctor about all medications that you are currently taking - including dietary supplements - so that they can clarify any changes or side effects, ”advises Dr. Lunow.
Beef, dairy products and citrus fruits are part of a blood-healthy diet
There are no prophylactic measures in place for many forms of anemia. The most common form of anemia, iron deficiency anemia, can often be prevented by a varied diet. These include meat that is high in iron, such as beef, or beans, lentils, dark green vegetables, and dried fruits.
Folic acid is also important for blood formation. It can be found in citrus fruits and juices, in bananas, in dark green vegetables. Another important vitamin that can help prevent anemia is vitamin B12. Meat and dairy products contain this vitamin.
An "anemia check" is particularly recommended for vegetarians
Compared to people who eat mixed foods, vegetarians have, among other things, a greater risk of being iron deficient. The iron in meat can be used better by the body than in vegetable products. Vegetarians must therefore pay attention to cereals that are particularly rich in iron, such as millet and oats, which are eaten in combination with fruit rich in vitamin C (e.g. oranges). Because vitamin C improves the iron availability from plant foods. "Vegetarians and people who eat little meat can use a blood test to find out whether they have too few red blood cells," says Dr. Lunow.
Image source: http://www.internisten-im-netz.de
- How does gravity arise on earth
- Is Pakistan safe for Brazilian tourists
- What is multiple consciousness
- Diversity is just a fad
- What is a 50000 word paper
- Why were ancient Egyptian wall paintings drawn
- What is the best lip shape
- We can create a hurricane at will
- What is an elevator shaft
- Why teamwork is important in cricket games
- Can I appear again for WBJEE after graduation?
- How do road racers urinate?
- What is the best natural soap
- Does zero time exist
- Which tissue is in blood vessels
- Why are some companies more successful than others
- Which fruit girls can eat and carry
- What are the best songs by the Bangtan Boys
- Why is culture pronounced K Lt or k lt
- How are apples harvested
- Can we create a decentralized cloud system?
- Where can I get Airdrop updates
- What exactly are macros in programming languages
- Why do we swallow when we hold our breath?
- Which subjects are out of date?
- Why not cloned animals always look the same
- What are joins in SQL
- How do giant squids fight sharks
- Why is a rooster called a rooster
- Which startups produce the best blogs
- Who invented the night lights
- How do I monetize with Facebook
- What is DNS Delegation
- What do sweet potatoes look like?