What are types of operating systems
Types of operating systems
Operating systems can be classified according to which computer classes they have been designed for. In the case of UNIX / Linux, however, the division is difficult, since many distributions can be used as both client and server operating systems.
Client operating systems
Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT or Mac OS X belong in this area.
Server operating systems
Windows 2003 Server, z / OS, Mac OS X Server belong in this area.Fig. 6: Installation of server operating systems (Hansen, Neumann, 2001, p. 986)
While Windows is developed and sold only by Microsoft and Mac OS X only by Apple, there are various Linux companies that deliver their so-called distributions. The differences are mainly in the scope of the application software supplied and the support offered. In UNIX one speaks of derivatives.
Another very important differentiating criterion for operating systems is proprietary. Proprietary operating systems can only be used on the hardware of a specific manufacturer. Examples of this are the operating systems from Microsoft and Apple. In contrast, open operating systems can be used on different hardware, such as Unix or Linux.
|Open operating systems are characterized by the following properties (Stahlknecht & Hasenkamp, 2005, p. 76 ff):|
|portability: Transferability to another system environment (hardware, operating system)|
|Interoperability: Can be used in any, especially heterogeneous computer networks|
|Scalability: Can be used on computers of all sizes|
- How difficult is life over 40
- Incomplete disclosure can ever be justified
- What prevents us from ruining the world
- Do the outcasts owe something to society?
- Why did you leave IISER
- What do you miss when you're lonely
- What are the best drama techniques
- What are touching music
- When did chemtrails start?
- Why is culture pronounced K Lt or k lt
- What is a good compiler for HTML5
- How does Olymp Trade 1
- Why do some people like to fold laundry
- How do you combine two shapefiles
- What is a cotton-rich fabric
- Who are the Australian journalists on Quora
- How is the campus of NSUT NSIT
- What are the qualifications of a good dentist
- How can I avoid using ISPs
- If 3x 17 10 what is x
- Who was the smarter Stalin or Lenin?
- How do I answer iPhone without swiping
- How is the LGBT in Lebanon
- What do palm roots look like