Did climate change cause Typhoon Haiyan?
Great devastation from Typhoon Haiyan
Wind speeds that reached gusts of over 300 km / h and a storm surge caused devastating destruction. According to initial reports, at least 5,240 people (as of November 26, 2013) were killed in the natural disaster.
With "Haiyan" the fourth typhoon reached the highest category 5 in this year's west Pacific hurricane season. With wind gusts up to 380 km / h the typhoon goes down in history as one of the strongest hurricanes ever observed.
"Haiyan" began on November 3rd around 100 kilometers southeast of Micronesia. Within one day the system intensified into a tropical storm and on November 6th was classified as a typhoon of the 5th and thus highest category. Special conditions in water and air favored this rapid development into a super typhoon. On the one hand, very high water temperatures (> 26 ° C) down to great depths could be observed in the typhoon area. On the other hand, there was only slight vertical wind shear in the vicinity of the system. "Haiyan" peaked in development on the evening of November 7th and hit land on the Philippine islands of Samar and Leyte as an extremely dangerous category 5 typhoon.
The enormous wind speeds caused a storm surge that reached a height of 5.2 meters on Leyte. The city of Tacloban on Leyte was almost completely flooded. According to initial analyzes by the Center for Disaster Management and Risk Reduction Technology (CEDIM), "Haiyan" destroyed 70-80% of the houses in the north of Leyte. In total, the storm damaged at least one million homes and left 2.1 million people long-term homeless. The cost of rebuilding the destroyed houses alone amounts to around 9.5 billion US dollars, the total costs caused by the storm are estimated at between 8 and 19 billion US dollars, according to CEDIM. The number of deaths can also continue to increase. CEDIM estimates that over 10,000 fatalities are assumed.
- What are the computer ethics violations
- What exactly happens in a MUN committee
- Google displays UNICODE characters differently. Why
- What is stress-induced asthma
- Why are bills in Congress so long
- Which decisions by the US government do not affect anyone
- Where do butterflies live
- Which Melaleuca products kill mold
- Top 11 cleaner apps for Android
- Which is the best preschool in Vellore
- What did you learn from Homestuck
- Borrows money laundering
- Help back supports relieve back pain
- Where to find your Bootstrap Topics
- Is it hard to learn Korean hangul
- How can I fail the exam?
- What are some examples of trading blocks
- Quora becomes BuzzFeed
- How do we break down plastic
- Who is Poonam Pandey
- Who is Hollywood's most threatening villain?
- Is hockey too violent
- Kills shrimp frying bacteria
- Can you show me high quality pictures