Is SAP SD a good career option
Career as a SAP consultant: you can achieve that
Specialization in topics and industries: that's them In front- and disadvantages
SAP consultants are specialists in their field. The following formula applies: the greater the expert knowledge of industries and IT projects, the sooner a successful career can develop from it. However, the economic sectors differ in terms of salary, among other things, and therefore offer different opportunities:
- The chemical and pharmaceutical industries usually offer the highest salaries.
- The automotive, finance, and luxury goods industries also pay SAP consultants very well. In addition, with special knowledge such as SAP HCM PY (Human Capital Management Payroll), SAP BO (Business Objects) or SAP PP-PI (Production Planning Process Industry) there are higher chances of success and better conditions are offered.
According to this matrix, every SAP consultant who is at the beginning of his professional career can put together a corresponding search grid.
There is also a great need for SAP consultants who
- are familiar with the technical requirements in logistics and accounting, business intelligence or Netweaver.
- Companies help to examine their data for business-critical substances.
- be familiar with the manufacturing industry.
When choosing the company and the SAP technology, the disadvantages of pronounced specializations must be considered. In times of rapid technological change, knowledge can become outdated or even obsolete! Therefore, the business perspectives of individual industries must be considered in order to arrive at a balanced assessment.
IT services will continue to be in high demand in the future, that much is certain. And there is no question that SAP will play a key role in this.
But what about industries like insurance, banking or retail that are under great pressure from digitization? If you want to focus on a single industry, you have to accept a career break if, contrary to expectations, it is completely turned inside out by sudden developments.
If you want to be successful in the long term, you should acquire broader industry and SAP knowledge in order not to fall into the "specialist trap".
External SAP consultant or in-house IT manager?
Working as a SAP expert, who supports companies worldwide in the application and further development of their digital processes, offers career advancement opportunities. These are mainly reflected financially. From consultant to project manager to senior advisor or even to a partner.
Project experience is reflected in a dexterous demeanor, professionalism and high added value.
These are the factors that offer particularly good opportunities and are very well remunerated:
- Fluent multilingualism
- high level of commitment
- structured process thinking
- Industry knowledge and SAP specialist knowledge (e.g. S / 4HANA, HANA BI topics and SAP EWM)
In contrast, coordinating and in-house SAP professionals move on a tighter job market with correspondingly lower wage increases. ABAP developers and SAP basic administrators also often earn a little less in-house than SAP module experts. The travel activity is manageable and everyday life is more structured.
The advantages and disadvantages at a glance
- External: High salary level with high flexible commissions, more often new projects, high travel activity.
- In-house: Medium salary with low flexible bonuses, work on a project, hardly any travel.
Ultimately, everyone has to decide for themselves where their priorities are:
- Would you like to pursue a career with the corresponding financial, albeit variable, advantages?
- How do you feel about an intensive workload and high travel activity?
- Do you accept the disadvantage of restricting your private life?
Or are you aiming for a position as an in-house consultant where you can concentrate on one or two projects? You are rarely out and about and receive a fixed, but not so high, salary. In return, however, you can better combine your private life and work.
The decision depends on your personal life situation: The external option is very attractive for young professionals living as a single person. On the other hand, a freshly baked family man with small children is more likely to opt for the in-house option.
From consultant to team leader: New tasks require new knowledge
If a management position is sought - for example as a project manager or as the IT manager of a company, you should be aware that although these positions require technical expertise and strategic thinking, everyday professional life is also determined by topics such as personnel management, team building and hiring processes .
Not every proven IT expert is a good boss. As a project manager, one often realizes after a certain time that the human relationship conflicts that arise from the new constellation can be stressful. These factors should be considered and require careful preparation.
The location has a say
In the metropolitan areas - especially in southern Germany such as Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt am Main or in the Cologne / Düsseldorf area - there are better career opportunities with higher salaries. Overall, more companies are located there, so that a career jump is more likely by changing employers. On the other hand, the cost of living in the named location is higher than in the flat country. Ultimately, the overall package should be weighed here, which can be very individual.
Are you a SAP specialist looking for a new challenge? We have been paving the way for tech experts in the DACH region to their dream job for over 15 years. Let us advise you free of charge!
Would you like to find out more about SAP careers? Our application advisor for SAP experts contains all the important information, tips and tricks about the application letter, the résumé and the job interview!
- How important is inventory management in industry
- How many times has Trump contradicted himself
- Why do Russians live more in Europe?
- What training did Archimedes receive
- Which IILM campus is the best
- What are Richie Lee's companies doing
- Is life after death real?
- What should I mix with Galliano
- What are some space-related films
- What's your favorite simple vegan recipe
- What were the rules of Daoism
- Is Sehun someone's bias in EXO
- Who would win Wolverine Survivor or Doomsday?
- Where quartz dust is mostly used
- Why do men hate buying pants?
- What would Tupac think of Drake?
- Will the technology help us or harm us?
- How was your YouTube comment pinned
- What is the function of ribososomes
- What is the most difficult situation for someone
- How do I wash my kettle
- How should I weld a shipping container
- How do you test a virtual assistant
- What was Ptolemy's reverse movement