What are some facts about the Serengeti
Serengeti National Park
✓ Best customer ratings
✓ German employees in Tanzania
✓ High service, competitive prices
The Serengeti National Park is by far the most famous national park in the world. The most impressive nature films were shot here. The name of the oldest national park in Tanzania comes from the Maasai and literally means "endless plain". With an area of around 24,000 km², the park is the second largest national park in Tanzania.
The wildlife of the Serengeti National Park
The Serengeti National Park has a fascinating ecosystem with a variety of impressive landscapes. Therefore, during a safari you will see hills, forest landscapes and many rivers in addition to the wide plains. But the fauna of the Serengeti is also unique. Because these wide plains offer an ideal habitat for many animals. Among other things, there are more than 4000 lions, about 225 cheetahs, 1000 leopards, 3500 hyenas, as well as hundreds of wild dogs!
In addition to these predators, there are of course many herbivores such as elephants, giraffes, buffalo, hippos, rhinos, waterbuck and pigs in the Serengeti. There are also different species of antelopes and primates in the national park. In addition to these well-known safari animals, you will also find many other, lesser-known species in the Serengeti, but they are just as interesting! In total, more than 3.5 million animals live in the Serengeti National Park!
Thanks to its impressive and unique nature, the park has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This protects the park so that nature and animals can flourish and continue to exist here in peace.
Experience the famous great animal migration in the Serengeti
The Serengeti is the most famous national park in the world for a reason. Its notoriety is mostly due to the large animal migration, too Great migration called, attributed. This is part of the seven African wonders. An impressive natural spectacle in which around 2.5 million animals cover long distances of up to 1000 kilometers. Some of these herds are over 40 kilometers long! A gigantic train consisting of wildebeest, gazelles, zebras and many other animals. The animals roam the Serengeti in search of fresh grass and water. For many travelers, experiencing this fascinating spectacle up close is the absolute highlight of their Tanzania trip. A safari in the Serengeti is an unforgettable experience!
Here you can see where the great animal migration is at what time of the year. Please note that the exact stay depends on the weather and can therefore not be precisely predicted. However, our Tanzania Specialist Guides have years of experience in tracking down the animals on your hike.
Would you like to visit the Serengeti National Park during your vacation? Here you can find all of our Tanzania trips and Tanzania safaris.
Commonly found animals in the Serengeti National Park
- Wildebeest (more than 1.5 million in the Serengeti)
- Zebra (more than 500,000 in the Serengeti)
- Gazelles (more than 300,000)
- Grant gazelles
- Thomson Gazelles
Serengeti National Park Video
Excursions and activities in the Serengeti National Park
Travel time to the Serengeti National Park
- The driving time from Arusha to Serengeti National Park is 5 hours. Because of this, one will visit this one
- Parks are often combined with one of the 3 national parks in between.
- It's a 2-hour drive from Ngorongoro to the Serengeti.
- It's a 3.5 hour drive from Lake Manyara to the Serengeti.
- It is a 4 hour drive from Tarangire to Serengeti.
- Local flight from Arusha to Serengeti: 1 hour (approx. € 238, - per person each way), your private Tanzania specialist
- Guide awaits you at the airport in Serengeti with the safari jeep.
Traveling between the individual national parks is also a real experience, as you can enjoy the beautiful nature and African culture during the trips.
Travel tips from our experts on the Serengeti National Park
Hello! I'm Samson and I've been a tour guide in the Serengeti National Park for 18 years. Our guests are fascinated by the Serengeti as it is home to many lions, leopards and cheetahs, so you have a good chance of spotting these animals all year round. In addition, the great migration is an experience in itself that our guests are always very impressed with. The park is ten times larger than the other parks, so you can easily stay here for a week and discover new things over and over again. The Serengeti is undoubtedly the park where most African animals can be seen in the wild.
How much time should you plan ?: At least 2 days (some customers find even a week not enough)
Which hotel? Thorn Tree Camp is a wonderful luxury tent camp. I think camping is the best way to experience the Serengeti. So you really get a real wildlife feeling that belongs to the Serengeti. Once you are there you will understand what I am talking about.
The great migration of animals in the Serengeti
The great animal migration takes place throughout the year in different locations in the Serengeti National Park. You can read about where the “great migration”, which includes around 2.5 million animals, is at what point in time on our page about the great migration of animals.
Let's plan your private safari
- Can your crush say I love you
- Is Tawang as good as Ladakh
- Is summer the human mating season
- What would I need for a non-gateway
- Under what circumstances do you feel disrespected?
- How can I start blogging with no money
- Is a BCA a good course
- What is the official language of Louisiana
- Is biology one of the humanities
- Should I eat almonds without skin
- Could humans sterilize the earth?
- How do I take good photos
- How does dehydration affect blood pressure?
- Do you wish that God existed?
- Are good guys ever loved?
- How do I unlock on Snapchat
- Where does Kobe Bryant stand all this time
- White power is dangerous
- What caused Vesuvius to erupt
- Publishing works on Kindle
- How often is usually 1
- Have you ever experienced abuse
- What are Strong Female Leads on Wattpad
- How can Linux package managers be improved