What is viscosity and laminar flow
The Reynolds number is named after the physicist Osborne Reynolds. The Reynolds number is used in fluid mechanics to determine the type of flow. For a better understanding, the different types of flow are described first.
Types of flow
In fluid mechanics, there are two different types of flow that can occur with fluids (liquids or gases): the laminar flow and the turbulent flow.
In the laminar flow of liquids and gases, there is no turbulence (i.e. eddies / cross flows). This means that the fluid flows in layers that do not mix.
With turbulent flow, in contrast to laminar flow, eddies occur.
In hydraulics, assuming that the fluid flows in a smooth round pipe, the following values for the Reynolds number can be assumed:
Recrit = 2200 to 2300
Re> Recrit => The flow is turbulent
Calculate Reynolds number
The Reynolds number is calculated from the ratio of inertia to viscosity forces. The mean flow velocity [m / s], the hydraulic diameter [m] and the kinematic viscosity [m] are included in the calculation2/be. The Reynolds number itself has no unit.
The Reynolds number results from the following formula:
vm : mean flow velocity [m / s]
D.H : Hydraulic diameter [m]
ϑ: kinematic viscosity (toughness) [m2/ s]
You can read more about the term viscosity here:
Calculation of the hydraulic diameter
A: flow cross-section
U: circumference of the flow cross-section
Calculation of the kinematic viscosity
η: dynamic viscosity [kg / (s * m)]
ρ: density [kg / m3]
The kinematic viscosity in hydraulics is typically in the range between 10 and 100 mm2/ s
The Reynolds number will be of importance several times in the further course of this hydraulic script. It is necessary, for example, when calculating the pipe friction. Pipe friction is discussed in one of the following scripts.
- What are some crazy taxi experiences
- Why is the god particle so important
- Which countries has Germany not colonized?
- Where are nomads now
- Where can I get HTML5 banners created
- Will support Android Oreo glibc
- What is the capacity in ITR 1
- Sells Flipkart original Ray Ban sunglasses
- Find business card
- Prove that 0 1
- Will Bitcoin increase in value after Brexit
- Is Ghana in the center
- Why do people like controversy
- Is pork bad for cholesterol
- What's your favorite AC DC album
- Why were ancient Egyptian wall paintings drawn
- What was your worst friendship experience
- What are some notable startups
- Which companies sell web servers
- What is Flat Web Design
- Depression can cause psychological trauma
- How does a guitar loop pedal work
- For which software is this necessary