What is the maximum temperature of the sun
How hot is the sun
The sun is like the earth: it is comparatively cool on the outside and quite hot on the inside. Only the circumstances are completely different. It is about 6,000 degrees Celsius on the surface of the sun, but the temperature inside is 15 million degrees.
In contrast to Earth, the sun is a huge fusion reactor. Under the enormous pressure inside, hydrogen atoms constantly fuse to form helium. Each 4 hydrogen atoms become one helium atom. This releases energy.
Convert mass into energy
We know from Einstein: mass can be converted into energy, and that's exactly what happens there. When the hydrogen atoms fuse to form helium, they lose about a hundredth of their mass, and that mass is converted into thermal energy.
And to give an idea: If one gram of hydrogen melts into helium, an energy of 180,000 kilowatt hours is released. On an electricity bill, this energy would cost 45,000 euros. But there are 6 billion tons of hydrogen that the sun converts into helium, every second. This creates the enormous temperature of 15 million degrees inside the sun, and of course this heat also migrates to the outside. But because the sun is so big, it takes a long time, namely 10 million years.
The coolest parts of the sun are hotter than the interior of the earth
For its part, the surface of the sun constantly radiates energy into space, including to us, of course. It is therefore cooled from the outside, which is why it is "only" about 6,000 degrees on the surface. On the sun's surface there are also the famous dark sunspots, which are a little cooler, around 4,000 to 5,000 degrees. If you compare that to the earth, it roughly corresponds to the temperature at the center of the earth. This means that the hottest parts of the earth's interior are still slightly cooler than the coolest points on the sun's surface.
The text and audio of this post are licensed under the CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 Creative Commons license.
- Why do so many people love elephants
- Why is the user not answering my question
- How the current flows through the conductor
- What is plasmolysis
- Why is every listed smartphone company falling
- How is a caesarean delivery done
- How different sects of Islam came into being
- What is the escape speed on earth
- When will Thailand legalize medical marijuana?
- Can class 11 still crack the IIT
- What is the displacement of an object
- Why are all stock prices falling
- What is your opinion on Roger Goodell
- How do users use LogMeIn
- Should I let my son pay rent?
- How are industrial oils classified
- How do taxes and tax returns work
- What are AHA technocrats
- What is the lingua franca of Switzerland
- What is a Makefile
- There are salmon in Lake Michigan
- What do you learn in accounting class
- What does colloidal
- Why is the Finnish language so conservative
- What is your favorite film music topic
- First interviews are difficult
- Why do feet smell, but noses run
- Why is packing so difficult
- The USA was founded on religion
- Is Alibaba a dropshipper
- Is Primecoin better than Bitcoin
- What are the best big data conferences
- How can I get paid to think