Have you ever had a Reuben sandwich?
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
Sandwich Sunday: We love sandwiches, but unfortunately many of the classic, famous sandwiches are not vegan. That is why we present you a traditional sandwich every month and show you how easy it can be made vegan. From grilled cheese to pastrami sandwiches - you can find all previous “sandwich sundays” here.
Whoop, it's Sandwich Sunday again and today it's going to be really hearty, hearty and delicious.
Say hello to: Reuben sandwich
Why, where from, why: As is so often the case, the origin of the sandwich is not entirely clear. Perhaps it was invented in Nebraska when the hotel chef created a sandwich for Reuben Kulakofsky, who regularly played poker at the hotel. The hotel eventually put the sandwich on the lunch menu and a hotel employee again won a competition with the recipe and made the sandwich famous. Or maybe it was Reuben Kulakofsky himself who invented the sandwich. Or it was Arnold Reuben from the famous Reuben’s Delicatessen who invented the “Reuben Special” for Broadway actress Marjorie Rambeau or or or.
What's usually on it: Take two slices of rye bread, corned beef (cured beef), Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Russian dressing.
What we put on it: Rye bread and sauerkraut are vegan anyway and since our grilled cheese sandwich we know how to melt vegan cheese. That leaves corned beef and the Russian dressing. We can warn you right away that this dressing is now one of our favorites. The simple variant basically consists of a mix of ketchup, cucumber relish and mayonnaise and is therefore easy to prepare vegan. You can either buy vegan mayo or make it yourself. So all that's left is the corned beef. Neither Isa nor I have ever eaten that and therefore found it difficult to develop a vegan recipe. A short research led us to a very promising recipe for “sarah’s vegan kitchen”. Tested and found to be very good, so that we would like to recommend it to you directly. You can find her recipe here.
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- 8 slices of rye bread
- 8 slices of vegan cheese
- 250 g sauerkraut
For Russian dressing:
- 100 g vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp cucumber relish
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 0.5 tsp onion powder
For the vegan corned beef:
- 200 g wheat gluten powder
- 100 g kidney beans
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 tsp onion powder
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 tsp coriander
- 0.5 teaspoons of cloves
- 0.5 tsp ginger
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Mix the seitan powder, all the spices and yeast flakes together.
- Puree the kidney beans, mustard, maple syrup, vegan Worcester sauce, soy sauce and vegetable stock to a smooth mass.
- Combine the pureed kidney bean mix and the seasoned seitan yeast flake mixture and mix with your hands or a rubber spatula. Shape the mixture into a thick roll and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil.
- You now dampen the whole thing for about 1 hour. If you don't have any specific equipment, you can simply simmer some water in a large saucepan and place a sieve over it, in which you place the seitan roll. The water should not touch the sieve under any circumstances. Now cover everything well so that the role can really dampen.
- After an hour, the roll is cut-resistant. Unwrap and let cool down briefly and cut the corned beef into thin slices. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the corned beef slices on both sides.
- For the Russian dressing, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the rye bread slices and spread them with Russian dressing. Top with corned beef and sauerkraut. You can either place the vegan cheese directly on it or let it melt a little beforehand in a pan.
- Will Donald Trump kill us
- What do you think about Africa
- How can I go to Visakhapatnam
- What is the strongest firewall
- Have Pisces ascendant have budhaditya yoga
- Are you afraid of an operation?
- What are ear training intervals
- Does zero time exist
- What is x if 2x 6 24
- What is the rank of Missuri University
- Why was a 32-bit operating system created
- Have you heard from NWA
- How do I turn off my Keurig
- Compassion without action is enough
- Who was the first behaviorist
- Is rock wool insulation dangerous
- Should Quora allow anonymous users
- What's your favorite area in Montreal
- Do you use Whatsapp
- What's in a vaccine shot
- How long do car engines last
- What is the science behind qigong
- When did Prince George of Denmark die?
- How do hackers in Bangladesh make money