Veterinarians specialize in animal species
Veterinary studies: all information
- Degree programs from A-Z -
Do you want to study veterinary medicine? Find out more here
Studying veterinary medicine has always been your dream. Do you have a very special relationship with animals? You are good with them and the fur noses just love you? As a child you set up an animal care station in your child's room if you found an injured bird or a run-over rabbit while playing outside. You looked after them, nursed them up and then released them back into nature - that was a matter of honor! For as long as you can remember, you have chosen to be a veterinarian and for your environment it is only a matter of time before you, after your veterinary studies, Dr. vet. will call.
Cliché vs. Reality
What is true and what is not
All focal points for your subject
Did you already know, that...
... the Berlin Small Animal Clinic can be seen regularly in the program “Menschen, Tiere & Doctors”?
... many more women than men study veterinary medicine? To be more precise, it's a total of 84 percent.
... the logo of veterinarians is the staff of Aesculapius? The symbol is a snake wrapped around a staff. You've probably seen it on a veterinary office sign before.
The study of veterinary medicine is very practice-oriented. In addition to the usual lectures, which make up the theoretical part, there are also numerous internships for the students on the compulsory program. This includes, for example, 70 hours in agriculture and animal breeding, a total of 850 hours in a veterinary practice and 75 hours in the field of public veterinary services. In addition, you should work 100 hours in the operation of an ante-mortem and meat inspection. You have time for these internships in the fifth year of study, which is considered an internship year. As you can see, as a veterinary student you have a good balance between theory and practice.
You spend most of your time with ...
- ... practical training in various internships.
- ... learning the basics of natural sciences (pre-physics).
- ... the Physikum (anatomy, histonomy ...).
- ... food hygiene.
- ... clinical rotations. The students are divided into small groups.
Examples of lectures & seminars
- - Internal Medicine
- - General pathology
- - animal breeding
- - genetics
- - toxicology
Possible master’s degree programs
Tips for beginners
1. Don't panic:
Don't be put off by a jam-packed timetable for studying veterinary medicine! After all, it was designed to be doable. At first glance, the many courses are certainly a shock, but always keep in mind that many others have already completed the quota before you. You will gradually get used to everyday student life and will miss it as soon as it is over. Bets ?!
2. Form learning groups:
The clinical rotations take place in groups. If possible, find motivated fellow students. It's not fun in the long run and is exhausting to work with unmotivated fellow students. Studying is also easier when you meet like-minded people. Learning together is also easier when you are on the same level.
3. First come, first served:
If you are interested in a semester abroad, it is best to do it as early as possible. The seats are mostly coveted and first come, first served. Find out which university abroad your university cooperates with and who is responsible for the exchange. Usually there are information events about it once a year. If not, meet the professor in charge and tell him about your plans, so he'll have you on his screen when the time comes.
- You know your university best -
Think for a moment, then rank university!Rate your university now
- Feel-good factor
- Service factor
- You can call JSP from the servlet
- How should coaches fit
- Do you like your nose
- How do I survive law school
- Did Socrates shape our world
- How lung cancer metastasizes to the adrenal glands
- What do glutamate receptors do
- What kind of clothes did Iroquois wear
- How many zombie films can you name
- What is the equilibrium of GDP
- What is a good metaphor for socialism
- Why do we usually like to sleep?
- Which A1 taxi service is in Nashik
- Fibromyalgia can turn into multiple sclerosis
- What about the UK and queues
- How many atoms does chlorine have
- Where can i ride a bike
- Would Munir still fit into Barca
- Will share modes NETAJI files
- What are the best restaurants in Muzaffarnagar
- Short films can get a theatrical release
- Who is Adams Smith
- How long should a mechanical pencil last?
- What are some sentence examples with term