Cracks epoxy mortar
All About Grouting Tile - Best Manufacturers and an Optional 4 Step Guide
The choice of grout is just as important as the choice of tile. Their main task is to protect the floor and the ends of the tile from the damaging effects of moisture, as well as from dirt, dust and chips. But there is another important function: the color perception of the interior depends on the color and texture of the seams and how easily the room can be cleaned. We tell how to choose the best grout for the tile and which manufacturer should give preference.
The most popular potting compound in 2018 and 2019 - from the manufacturers Ceresit (low-cost segment) and Mapei (slightly more expensive potting compound).
Other Popular Mortar Manufacturers (By Popularity):
- Vetonit Deco;
For those who have not yet decided on the type and color of the mortar, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the 4-step guide.
Step 1. Select the mortar type
Mortars come in 2 main types:
Which tile grout is better - epoxy or cement?
The best mortar in all performance is epoxy. However, because of the high price, its use may only be for laying tiles in wet rooms (e.g. in the bathroom including a shower cabin), decorative mosaic panels, floor tiles in a room with increased traffic or heated floor, and complex design solutions. On the other hand, cement mortar is an excellent workhorse that can be used for a long time in areas where it does not come into contact with water too often (for example, when decorating a kitchen apron) and when there are no special requirements for the color of the joints, the Presence of glitter etc. can be made.
See also: How to choose a tile for the apron: 12 nuances and an overview of the common formats
Option 1. cement mortar
Cement injection is a cement-based compound with the addition of pigments, plasticizers and other special additives.
Suitable for: Sealing narrow and wide seams of floor tiles, on walls and kitchen aprons, hallways, for porcelain stoneware (!), For repairs on a budget, for repairs to summer houses.
NOT suitable for: walls and floors of bathrooms as well as for glass tiles.
Available in: dry powder in a package (independently diluted with water before work) or in the form of the finished mixture in a plastic bucket. The use of ready-made mixes is only justified if you are sure that you will consume all of the volume at once.
|Ease of application cement mortar does not freeze quickly, so you can slowly fix the defects while rubbing the grout. This is a big plus for beginners.||A less decorative look of the seams, a small selection of color nuances. Compared to epoxy and silicone compounds.|
|Versatility. Suitable for sealing both wide seams (5-6 mm) and narrow (up to 5 mm).||Dries slowly.This is a minus and a plus at the same time.|
|The most accessible type of mortar. Perhaps this is the biggest advantage of cement mortar.||Porosity Because of this, the seams will absorb a small amount of moisture, mold and eventually begin to crumble and crack.|
|Habit for all tilers. Unlike epoxy mortar, which doesn't work on all masters.||Over time, it will become dark by 1-2 tones. The casting compound always darkens with a protective impregnation after treatment.|
|Fits a little after drying.|
|Cement mortar seams destroy acid-based cleaning products. Use only alkaline cleaners.|
Tips for choosing cement mortar:
- To seal the seams on the floor and walls of the kitchen and bathroom, it is necessary to use grout with antiseptic properties.
- In order for the cement mortar to last longer, it must be treated with a protective impregnation (such as Atlas-Delphin, Ceresit CT10, etc.). This should be done at least three times.
- In Russia, Ceresit CE40 is the most popular cement mortar.
- To fill wide joints (over 5 mm), use special cement mortar with sand. Otherwise, the mortar will crack quickly;
- Mixing cement grout with latex additives instead of water makes it more moisture resistant (you can wipe the tiles in the shower), durable, and resistant to fading.
Option 2. epoxy mortar
Epoxy mortar is a two-component mixture of hardener and pigmented epoxy resin. When mixed together, mortar components polymerize, making the joint filling very strong, waterproof and resistant to mechanical and chemical influences.
View this post on Instagram
Posting from Litoshop (@_litoshop_)
Suitable for: wide joints (more than 5 mm) for finishing kitchen aprons (and other surfaces in the kitchen), for finishing tile floors with heating, for finishing floors in heavily frequented rooms, for finishing bathrooms, pools, showers
NOT suitable for: Porcelain stoneware with a porous surface.
Available in: two component mix in a bucket.
|Strength.This is the main advantage of epoxy mortar.||Fast setting (within 20 minutes) and very viscous consistency. Epoxy mortar joints need to be done quickly and skillfully, which only experienced tile workers can do. It is especially difficult to wipe tight seams.|
|Durability The life of seams can be 50 years without discoloration.||High price On average, 1 kg of epoxy mortar costs about 1,200 rubles, a multiple of the price of cement grout.|
|Neat appearance of the seams. This is especially true for the decoration of the apron, the decorative panels and the mosaics.||Potting with epoxy resin may only be carried out by a qualified technician. Finding such a tiler is more difficult and its services become more expensive. Remember that one mistake and, most likely, the tile will be damaged forever.|
|Resistance to extreme temperatures. This is especially good for tile floors in the kitchen.|
|Environmental friendliness. Because of this, it's ideal for grouting aprons in the kitchen (and other surfaces), as well as for underfloor heating.|
|It is not subject to any formation.|
|Doesn't shrink or crack over time.|
|It's easier to clean and less dirty. Resistant to aggressive cleaning chemicals.|
Step 2. Choosing the color of the grout
In the perception of the interior, the interwoven trowel mix plays no less a role than the tile. Here are two basic principles for choosing a mortar color.
Principle 1. Choice of grout according to the tile
This technique is good when you want to focus on the tile's color and texture. For example, if it is expensive and beautiful in itself.
- It is especially good to use tile and grout for finishing the floor - this will make it look neat and monolithic.
- In fact, it is best to choose the color of the grout, not the same shade as the tile, but a shade or two that are darker.
- The seams of mosaic tiles and tiles with a pattern are best rubbed with a joint of the base color of the mosaic.
Here are some photo examples of such a decision.
Principle 2. The choice of contrast mortar
By sanding it in a contrasting color, you can highlight the geometry and interesting layout of the tile. This is a bolder and unusual reception that can give both a very effective and unsuccessful result. If not with advised combination of colorsthen defects in tiles and seams are perceived twice. Here are some win-win combinations: black + soft white or glossy white, beige + blue or turquoise, beige + chocolate / coffee, gray + mahogany.
Other important tips for choosing mortar:
- The most versatile mortar color for wall tiles is white. White seams are particularly well combined with colored tiles and black.
- With the floor tile, however, the universal color of the joint is light gray (the white on the floor quickly darkens and gets dirty).
- It is believed that the most practical grout is dark, for example, brown. Dirt is less noticeable on dark seams, but on the other hand they look dirty at first glance. Incidentally, dark casting compounds also tend to fade and become cloudy when used with more aggressive cleaning agents.
- Remember that light mortar often darkens when wet (for example in the washing zone) and returns to normal after drying.
- The combination of light grout and light tile is ideal for small rooms as it visually stretches the floor or walls. If you choose a white grout for white tiles, you will surely be comparing the shades. Often times, shades of white do not match because the tiles and seams are dirty or just not as beautiful as they could be.
- The protective impregnation makes cement mortars 1-2 tones darker.
- Transparent grout with glitter can be used for mosaic panels (see photo below) or glow in the dark.
Step 3 Calculate the mortar consumption
The mortar consumption mainly depends on the size of the tile and the width and depth of the joints. The more tiles, the more joints need to buy. Vice versa. For example, filling the seams of mosaic tiles requires much more smoothing composition than usual.
You can calculate the mortar consumption manually or using an online calculator (freely available on the web).
Here is the mortar consumption formula:
Mortar consumption (kg / m2) = (a + b) / (a * b) * c * d * e
- a is the tile length (mm),
- b - tile width (mm),
- c - tile thickness (mm),
- d is the seam width (mm)
- e is the mortar density (kg / dm3), usually a number from 1.5 to 1.8
View this post on Instagram
Tile joint. How simple it sounds, but how many problems choosing the right shade! 😐 Our granite tiles have long had to torment us with the choice of grouting. Bought 2 colors: ✔️Litochrome, color beige. EresCeresit, color Bahamas beige. The tiler rubbed both options. After drying, the mortar remained on a shade from the manufacturer #Ceresit. After reading about the consumption on the pack, I decided to remove all 7 packs of "Bahamas Béj" that I needed immediately on the shelf. But what are 7 packs of mortar ?! I thought and sent an advisor to the warehouse to bring me the 8th pack of "colored dust". But the consultant came back with nothing ... was just explaining: The Bahamas is over. “Well, you have to go to the other end of town, in Leroy. Well, that couldn't be done! The tiler smiled at my endeavors to buy mortar in such quantities because only he knew the true consumption of this beige pollen. Only one and a half packs disappeared incompletely on the bathroom and the tub. Then for whom these costs on packages !? 🧐 Of course, unpacked packs were returned to the store. By the way, in Castor the grout is returned within 14 days. This is due to the short shelf life of 12 months, explained the consultants. And just a moment 💡 When choosing colors, we often use stands with mortar samples that the store offers. In branches, # leruamerlen and #castoram patterns are deleted (with the touch of visitors, dust). Therefore, the shades on the samples are noticeably darker. In general, the key can easily fix the situation. With that, I erased a small "dirty" layer on the sample and then combined it with a piece of tile that settled in my pocket. _ # joint # joint # joint
Posting by dvushka_v_remonte (@dvushka_v_remonte)
Step 4. Go to the store
At the beginning of the article, we already presented a small evaluation of the manufacturers of smoothing compounds. Just need the following tips to be given before you go to the store:
- Remember that every mortar has a shelf life. Always check before buying the composition and before laying it.
- Buy mortar preferably with a margin of 15%.
- Before purchasing a grout, make sure that all the selected packages are from the same batch. Otherwise, after laying the tile, you will find a multitude of seams that can be very noticeable. A small difference in the shades of the same mortar from different batches is a consequence of the specifics of production, not marriage.
Load ... See also:
- How do I use a PC with Android
- What are some examples of bacillus bacteria
- Harrison Ford has children
- Is seriously overrated
- What are some fine amazing travel stories
- What can be found in medical specialties
- Is the man better than the woman 1
- Where can I find peace
- Is it dangerous to exercise in the morning?
- How do I rest
- Should you work for Elon Musk
- Which proverbs and pieces of advice are always true
- Xcode What is a playground
- Why do marketers study social classes
- What is the reputation of The Tribune newspaper
- What are the static properties of SCR
- Why use event emitters in node js
- Should I buy a house in Israel?
- Which films are based on hacking
- Will Hope Hicks ever speak against Trump
- What things are taboo in Mongolia
- What is a bad LSAT score
- Is there Hispanophobia in Catalonia
- Many companies use the same satellite
- How can I be an angel investor
- What do loose tools mean in inventory
- Why does Cloud 9 mean happy
- Are there Estonians living in Latvia?
- Removes the reverse osmosis sodium
- What is reactive power in practice
- What is the Zapaat search engine
- How to say screen in Swedish?
- Will Celtic ever stop winning the SPL?
- Why do we usually like to sleep?