Which fruit girls can eat and carry
The ten most persistent "pregnancy legends"
Every child costs a tooth - a round belly, it becomes a girl - big breasts, lots of milk - there is hardly any other topic that has as many myths and legends as pregnancy and birth. You can find out here whether these "old wives' tales" are sheer nonsense or contain a grain of truth.
Like it or not, once you have a look at your pregnancy, you will be overwhelmed with information and well-intentioned advice. These are particularly popular with self-appointed experts such as mothers, mothers-in-law or mothers friends. In addition to a lot of useful information, you will certainly be confronted with a variety of so-called pregnancy legends, myths or old wives' tales. Often these are so absurd that you can't help but laugh.
But as with many assumptions of popular belief, the same applies to old wives' tales: Sometimes there is something to it. You can read in this list which legends you can immediately forget and which are worth taking a closer look at.
1. With severe nausea, will it be a girl - or a boy?
Hardly any other issue preoccupies parents as much as the gender of their future child. That was the case in the past and it is still the case today. While modern medical examination methods can now be used to determine gender, wet nurses, midwives and relatives in earlier centuries had no choice but to interpret what was happening in front of their eyes. There are a lot of pregnancy myths that revolve around the baby's gender.
Among other things, one tried to read off the nausea of the expectant mother, whether it would be a boy or a girl. Strangely enough, popular belief knows both variants. This fact alone indicates the absurdity of a link between gender and nausea.
The reason for the nausea during the first few months of pregnancy has not yet been clarified down to the last detail, but it is believed that it is due to the increase in the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG). Since hormone levels and tolerance differ from woman to woman, some pregnant women suffer from severe nausea and others do not suffer at all.
2. Pointy belly, it's going to be a boy - big belly, it's going to be a girl!
To want to deduce the gender of the child from the shape of a baby bump is sheer nonsense, but it persists. Rather, the shape of the abdomen is determined by factors such as the mother's stature, her posture, the size of the child and the amount of amniotic fluid.
3. Cravings for trickery - girl, craving for treats - boy
Whether a pregnant woman craves pickles or chocolate definitely does not depend on the gender of her unborn child, but rather on the hormones. Namely, they influence the sense of taste and smell and thus the eating behavior of the expectant mother.
4. If the woman becomes more beautiful during pregnancy, it is a boy
A legend that is still widespread today, especially in the Arab world, says that women who really blossom and become prettier during pregnancy give birth to a boy. The reason for this is that girls take away all the beauty from their mothers. With so many beautiful pregnant women we would have a blatant surplus of men in Germany ...
5. Every child costs a tooth
Pregnant women still hear this saying often today. The fact is that teeth and gums are particularly sensitive during the first few months of pregnancy: the hormone changes in the body give the gums more blood and are therefore softer and more sensitive. It can lead to painful inflammation of the gums and teeth are more prone to tooth decay.
For this reason, pregnant women should pay special attention to their oral hygiene and visit the dentist at least once during pregnancy. That way the child won't cost them a tooth.
6. Pregnant women must eat for two
Wrong, pregnant women don't have to eat much more, but much more consciously and healthily. Only from the fourth month of pregnancy onwards should pregnant women consume around 250 kcal more per day. The protein requirement in expectant mothers increases from 50 g to 60 g per day.
7. Sex triggers labor
Women who are thoroughly fed up with waiting for childbirth are often advised to have intercourse. For a long time, the hormone prostaglandin contained in semen was thought to promote labor: it softens the cervix and promotes labor.
In the meantime, however, scientists have proven that the amount of prostaglandin in sperm is so small that it cannot have any effect on labor. The fact that many pregnant women report a connection between sex and childbirth is attributed to the fact that the uterus contracts during orgasm. This can, but does not have to, trigger labor.
8. Only pregnant women with large breasts have a lot of milk
There is no relationship between breast size and the amount of breast milk. Women with large and small breasts can therefore produce the same amount of milk. The breast is made up of fat and glandular tissue. With large breasts, the proportion of fatty tissue is greater; the proportion of glands is the same in small and large breasts.
9. Pregnancy makes you forgetful
One hears this rumor again and again - in fact, forgetfulness has been proven in pregnant women, but on closer inspection it turned out that there was no change in cognitive abilities. Rather, pregnant women focus on other topics - work or everyday life is forgotten without the pregnancy immediately causing a mental deficit.
10. Exercise harms the baby
True to the motto “Sport is murder”, many pregnant women still believe that exercise is harmful and can even cause a miscarriage in an emergency. The opposite is the case, however: moderate exercise even promotes the health of the unborn child and reduces the risk of pregnant women before z. B. high blood pressure or gestational diabetes.
- When did you stop trusting the internet?
- What are Australias main biomes
- Fibromyalgia is the result of stress
- Could Buddhism be viewed as a polytheistic religion?
- What are the benefits of CA studies
- What are the cell surface proteins called
- Who sings the song TAKE A TRIP
- Why is dandruff bad for your hair
- All animals excrete feces
- What are the disadvantages of the leakage flux
- Is the LPHS Santacruz School a good one
- What punctuation indicates pause
- Who has the coolest facial scar
- Is Jimmy Choo a luxury brand
- Is Tetris intellectual property protected
- How do I check my MA results
- Is Cerelac good
- Are heat and radiation the same
- Do Iranians prefer Kurds or Turks
- Are IQ scores a success factor?
- How do small farms survive?
- How to calculate the percentage of variance
- Why are there teenagers in cliques?
- What are examples of non-poisonous tarantulas
- What is a Makefile
- Is life better if you are not intelligent
- Why do people hate Russ
- Can I listen to Audible offline?
- How much protein does Greek yogurt contain?
- What is special about Polaroid cameras
- Where can I buy bicycles in Gurgaon
- Did climate change cause Typhoon Haiyan?
- The taxi forsure service is available in Jamshedpur