What is frontal sinus hypoplasia
The Frontal sinus (Frontal sinus) is one of the sinuses (Paranasal sinus). It creates a cavity lined with mucous membrane in the frontal bone (Frontal bone), which is connected to the middle nasal passage ("sinus duct") of the nasal cavity. In addition, there is a connection to the ethmoid cells, which is particularly spacious in horses, so that both sinuses in this species also act as Conchofrontal sinus be summarized. The frontal sinuses on both sides are separated by a thin septum (Septum sinuum frontalium) separated from each other.
Table of Contents
The size and shape of the frontal sinus vary widely. This applies not only to the comparison between different species, but also between different individuals in humans. There are four basic shapes described for humans: bean, leaf, mitral and pyramid shape. The size of the human frontal sinus varies between 0.05 and 7.8 cm3Not infrequently the frontal sinus is not developed at all (aplasia) or only slightly (hypoplasia). The bony roof of the eye socket can also be pneumatized to a variable extent by the frontal sinus.
In cattle and pigs, the frontal sinus is particularly large and extends to the occiput (Occipital bone). In horn-bearing ruminants, the frontal sinus extends into the horny process (Processus cornualis) of the skull. Therefore, the frontal sinus is opened when the horn is broken off or when adult ruminants are surgically dehorned.
In newborns, the frontal sinus cannot be separated from the ethmoid cells. Pneumatization of the frontal bone does not begin in humans until the age of 2, and in seven to eight year olds it reaches the upper edge of the eye socket.
Like the other paranasal sinuses, the frontal sinus can also be affected in diseases of the nose. Inflammation of the frontal sinus is called sinusitis, and a collection of pus is called frontal sinus empyema.
In the event of illnesses or accumulation of secretions, the frontal sinus can be rinsed. In chronic cases, radical frontal sinus surgery, i. H. the surgical removal of the diseased mucous membrane of the frontal sinus may be indicated.
In humans, osteomas are occasionally found in the frontal sinus.
If the frontal sinus is ruptured, there is a risk of infection of the interior of the skull (meningitis or encephalitis) and / or the development of a CSF fistula if the posterior wall is involved.
- Franz-Viktor Salomon: Bony skeleton. In: Franz-Viktor Salomon, Hans Geyer, Uwe Gille (Eds.): Veterinary anatomy. Enke, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-8304-1007-7, pp. 37-110.
- Theodor H. Schiebler (Ed.): Anatomy. Histology, history of development, macroscopic and microscopic anatomy, topography. Taking into account the item catalog. 9th, completely revised edition. Springer, Berlin et al. 2005, ISBN 3-540-21966-8.
- ↑ abAnton Waldeyer: Human anatomy. 17th, completely revised edition. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin and others 2003, ISBN 3-11-016561-9, p. 324.
- ↑ H. Wechalekar: Extension of the frontal sinus into the roof of the optic canal: a cadaveric case report. In: Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy Volume 38, No. 5, 2016, pp. 609-613. doi: 10.1007 / s00276-015-1560-2; accessed on March 8, 2018
Categories:Skull | Respiratory system
Status of information: 11/23/2020 11:03:27 AM CET
Source: Wikipedia (authors [version history]) License: CC-BY-SA-3.0
Changes: All images and most of the design elements associated with them have been removed. Some of the icons have been replaced by FontAwesome icons. Some templates have been removed (such as "Article worth reading", "Excellent article") or rewritten. Most of the CSS classes have been removed or standardized.
Wikipedia-specific links that do not lead to articles or categories (such as "Redlink", "Edit links", "Portal links") have been removed. All external links have an additional FontAwesome icon. In addition to other small design adjustments, media containers, maps, navigation boxes, spoken versions and geo-microformats have been removed.
Important NOTE Since the given content was automatically taken over from Wikipedia at the specified time, manual checking was and is not possible. LinkFang.org therefore does not guarantee the correctness and topicality of the content taken over. If the information is now incorrect or there are errors in the presentation, we ask you to contact us by: E-Mail.
- What are the requirements to join USAA
- Who is the king of France today?
- What is an analysis of the value chain in the industry
- Chai Latte is considered a coffee
- How did El Chapo come to power
- Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure overrated
- When is a fish really organic?
- What are the most popular robotics competitions
- Is gravity an implosive or explosive force?
- Uber drivers can take cash tips
- Where can I buy the guitar set
- For gardening, which pipe is better
- Did climate change cause Typhoon Haiyan?
- Can India ever compete with China?
- Are emotions natural or learned
- What is the use of glutathione tablets
- How is Benzene SP2 hybridized
- Are information on Wikipedia reliable
- Cats can have hazel eyes
- How was your CSE interview in 2017
- What is the vitality of ancient English
- How many days are enough in Haridwar
- What is Underarmour's Marketing Strategy
- How often do women orgasm in porn