How do I find a satellite signal
No satellite signal on the television: tips for solving problems
Is it just getting really exciting in your favorite series and the picture is gone? An important soccer game is coming up and the TV stays black? If the reception on satellite TV suddenly fails, good advice is expensive. Here we explain the most common causes and give tips on how to solve them.
If the TV has no signal: weather-related failures
Storms, rain or strong winds can affect satellite reception. Especially with smaller satellite dishes or flat antennas, signal interference quickly occurs when it rains, but these should be resolved after the rain has passed. Basically, the bigger the antenna, the more stable the reception.
However, it's not just size that matters. Aligning the satellite antenna to the reception position with millimeter precision can also determine how easily reception collapses in bad weather. So if you hit the angle as well as possible when setting up your antenna, you will have to expect less interference.
Displacement of the antenna in severe weather
It can also happen that the satellite dish shifts a little in strong storms. A few millimeters are often enough to completely paralyze reception. If reception is permanently lost or disrupted after a storm, there is a good chance that the antenna has shifted. In such a case, realignment of the antenna is unfortunately unavoidable.
LNB damaged by storms
In individual cases it is also possible that the so-called LNB, i.e. the receiving part of the satellite antenna, can be damaged by storms and especially wetness. If the LNB is damaged or defective after a storm, usually only an exchange or, in individual cases, a repair by a specialist will help.
Is the view to the satellite overcast?
The satellites broadcasting our TV signal are usually invisible to the naked eye. Nevertheless, they are always up there and the receiving antenna always needs a clear view of them.
There doesn't always have to be a house in the way, maybe the satellite dish has overgrown since last spring or leaves are blocking reception. Snow may also have to be removed from the bowl in order to function properly. After all obstacles have been removed, the centimeter-precise alignment should definitely be checked again.
Are the cables and connections OK?
Reception interference can of course also be caused by the cabling of the satellite antenna with the receiver or TV set. Broken or defective cables can cause problems, which is why you should always use ribbon cables in critical areas such as window frames.
The screw caps of the antenna connections can also cause cables to sit crooked or loosen over time. Fortunately, in most cases this is easy to check and fix.
Defective receiver or broken tuner
A defect in the satellite receiver or TV tuner can also be to blame if reception is disturbed. Ideally, you can check this by connecting another receiver and checking whether the problems can be solved with it. With some receiver models, you have the option of replacing a defective tuner with a new one yourself. However, you should only try this if you have the necessary tools and technical expertise. In principle, a repair by a specialist is always recommended in the event of a defect.
Disturbance in space: is the satellite transmitting at all?
Of course, there is also the possibility that the cause of the problem does not lie with you or your technical system. The interference can also appear on the other side, namely with the transmitter itself, which ultimately has to transmit its signal from its broadcasting center to the satellite in the first place - or directly with the satellite.
Every now and then there is maintenance work on the transmitters, which then temporarily switch off the corresponding transponder on the satellite. If it happens, for example, that only some transmitters do not work while all others continue to transmit, then this is most likely because of this. Such maintenance work usually does not take long and is completed after a few hours at the latest.
Every now and then it also happens that broadcasters move their channels to another transponder. This then ensures that suddenly no signal can be seen on the previous program slot on the TV or receiver. In such a case, a new search will help.
Manual station search can provide clarity
In exceptional cases it has also happened that satellite operators such as Sky have sent an incorrect channel list to their receivers. In such cases, certain stations could not be received on their original program positions for a few hours or days. In such cases, a manual search for the relevant stations using the transponder frequencies often helps.
In general, a manual station search can provide information on whether everything is basically OK with the receiving system. If you manually search for a specific station on your receiver or TV set with the respective transponder frequency and this is found, this means that the system is basically working. However, if you can't find anything, there is a problem somewhere.
For example, you will receive the first (HD) with the following data:
- Astra 1 (19.2 ° East)
- Frequency: 11,494 horizontal
- Symbol rate: 22,000
- Error correction: 2/3
New firmware for TV or satellite receiver?
Is there maybe a new firmware for the satellite receiver? In most cases, the devices have the option of searching for available updates in the menu. This could also fix the error. The last option is to reset the receiver to the factory settings. However, this measure almost always means that station and favorite lists have to be set again in painstaking detail.
- Switch on all devices and provide sufficient power
- Check the compatibility of the components
- Update devices to the latest software or reset to factory settings
- Check a clear view of the satellite
- Remove branches, leaves or snow from the bowl
- Check all plugs, connections and cables carefully
- The satellite may not be broadcasting
- What is the full form of PAPA
- How does the ad exchange work
- How many gravitational waves did LIGO recognize
- Which is the shortest battle in the world
- Which web server does Google use
- What's the rest of 20 18 2018
- How are the mediation possibilities for the engineering
- Is Jimmy Choo a luxury brand
- What is the conflict in Venezuela
- How does the earth experience day and night
- Which song doesn't make sense
- Why do people still create HTML websites
- Why not PhoneGap
- Why do feet smell, but noses run
- What was your experience with a snow storm
- Is Maratha a language or a caste
- What is a Makefile
- What do wild cats live on
- Why teamwork is important in cricket games
- Why is encapsulation important
- Change is invariably constant
- In Urdu, what's your name?
- How INPUT tax is calculated under GST
- Will a Moto G5 Plus overheat?
- Which artist sang the song Somebody
- How am I supposed to improve my taste in fashion?
- How can I improve my page rank
- How do computers exchange data
- Why does Dominos lose the Pizza Wars
- Which scientific theory needed to be changed
- What goes well with plaid shorts
- What helps with visa advice
- How to say screen in Swedish?