Deer antlers grow back
The red deer in June
If the antlers grow, there is peace in the men's flat share
26.05.2010 – 10:47
German Wildlife Foundation
The red deer uses it as a weapon and to impress: the antlers. In June, however, it is difficult to fight and show off because the imposing "bones" on the male animal's head are missing. They were dropped in February. Now the red deer grows a piston-like structure on the skull, which is covered by a bast skin. "The animals now stand together peacefully in packs and graze," says Hilmar Freiherr von Münchhausen, Managing Director of the German Wildlife Foundation. "Occasional arguments are only carried out with the forelegs, because the velvet antlers are very sensitive to pain."
For Münchhausen, the rapid growth of antlers is a miracle of nature. Up to 14 kilograms of bone substance are formed within just 140 days after the antlers are shed. The antlers grow at a record speed of up to two centimeters a day. The deer's need for calcium and phosphorus is extremely high and is sometimes even covered by their own skeleton. "You have to bear in mind that every year two gigantic bones grow on the animal's head within a short period of time - a natural process that is also met with great interest in medical research," says Hilmar Freiherr von Münchhausen.
The so-called piston antlers are covered with light brown, fine hairs of the bast skin and have a velvety sheen. Blood vessels that run under the outer layer provide nutrients for the growing antlers. At the end of July, the process of building the antlers is complete, the blood vessels become deserted and the deer scrapes off the dead tissue on trees and bushes. The hunter speaks of "sweeping". Freshly swept, the new antlers are almost white. The sap that penetrates the bone substance when the antlers are swept gives the antlers either a light, dark or gray-brown color. Only the ends of the rods are then still ivory-colored.
Free images: www.Presse.DeutscheWildtierStiftung.de
Eva Goris, press officer,
Billbrookdeich 216, 22113 Hamburg,
Telephone 040 73339-1874, Fax 040 7330278,
Original content by: Deutsche Wildtier Stiftung, transmitted by news aktuell
- Can hack people with no information
- Why are athletes considered heroes
- Did you know your feelings
- Do the outcasts owe something to society?
- Count penalties as goals
- Are cellular messages encrypted
- How is Notre Dames computer science department
- How many CAT attempts are allowed
- Are there any product design truisms
- What's the best shell command
- How to soften chicken
- When does it go too far to be overly careful?
- FreeCodeCamp is a scam
- How do you get to know Kooki
- How many years does an HTC phone last?
- Who voiced Tommy Pickles in Rugrats
- What is the Game of Thrones Soundtrack
- Who is your inspiration for motivation
- What kind of business is Apple
- Trump represents old America
- Are Aquarius and Cancer compatible?
- What did Elonmusk learn
- Are industrial stations responsible for global warming
- Which is the best implant