Kai is a Hawaiian name
The name Kai is ♀ female and ♂ male.
Origin of Kai
The origin of the first name Kai is not clearly established. It is probably a Frisian short variant of Gerhard or Nikolaus, but it can also come from the Latin name Cajetanus and have a Celtic origin. There is also the name in Hawaiian (unisex), Indian, Japanese and Chinese. It is used for boys and, more rarely, for girls. As a maiden name, Kai is derived from the Latin name Cajetana or Katharina (especially in Scandinavia).
Meaning of kai
Kai has many different meanings because the origin is not certain: for boys “the fighter”, “the warrior” (from Frisian “kempe”), “the victory of the people” or “the victor over the people” (from Nikolaus) , “The spearman” (from Gerhard), “one from the city of Gaeta” (from Cajetanus), in Celtic “the spearman”, “the spear thrower”, in Indian “the willow tree”, in Japanese “the pioneer”, in Chinese “The victorious”, in Hawaiian “the sea”. For girls, Kai means “one from the city of Gaeta” (from Cajetana) or “the pure” (from Katharina).
Pronunciation of kai
Alternate spelling of KaiCaiCayKajKay
Kai in the categoriesNamesGirl NamesShort Girl NamesShort NamesBoy NameShort Boy NamesUnisex NameShort Unisex NamesBoy Names With KName With KGirl Names With KUnisex Names With K
Parents who like Kai also likeNoahMilaMiaLiamJaydenMasonEllaMaxEmmaRyanJackIvyEvaLucaIsabellaCharlotteOliviaLucasJamesSophie
Name statistics: Kai occupies place 713 ↑ 4
- 🇦🇹 Austria: 1543 ↓ -1
- 🇦🇺 Australia: 291 ↑ 4
- 🇧🇪 Belgium: 749 ↓ -2
- 🇨🇦 Canada: 603 ↑ 7
- 🇨🇭 Switzerland: 886 ↑ 17
- 🇩🇪 Germany: 1618 ↑ 30
- 🇩🇰 Denmark: 419 ↑ 11
- 🇪🇸 Spain: 438 ↓ -12
- 🇫🇮 Finland: 2752 ↑↑ 421
- 🇫🇷 France: 1919 ↑ 6
- 🇬🇧 Great Britain: 523 ↓ -6
- 🇮🇪 Ireland: 360 ↑ 21
- 🇱🇮 Liechtenstein: 9498 ↓ -22
- 🇳🇱 Netherlands: 72 ↑ 1
- 🇳🇴 Norway: 1313 ↑ 22
- 🇳🇿 New Zealand: 486 ↓ -2
- 🇵🇹 Portugal: 2689 ↓ -27
- 🇸🇪 Sweden: 1253 ↓ -16
- 🇺🇸 USA: 515 ↑ 3
Kai in the top names
Are you looking forward to your baby, but are you still looking for the right name?
Never miss a name with our free baby name app CharliesNames. Download it now and let yourself be surprised :)
Photo: Helena Lopes
Author of the name: Jelka
- Why aren't my pancakes fluffy
- What does the German word hers mean?
- Where are the Old Testament saints now
- What is the leanest type of meat
- What time zone is Idaho in?
- What is the Android emulator for Ubuntu
- What should I know as an architect
- How good is Geely
- What is the scope in chemical technology
- How Cold Weather Causes Arthritis Pain
- Do paragraphs have a standard structure
- Do you need snowshoes for winter hiking
- How does a keto body tone work
- When do cats attack
- Is media a creative mess
- How can I impress my professor
- What is the best tasting chicken
- Are there any signs of female infertility
- Are there startup schools in Europe?
- How well does a backless bra work
- Does sugar consumption affect cholesterol levels?
- Rap only sings poetry
- What are the benefits of DAG
- In what order should you learn German?