How do I practice singing
How can you learn to sing? Tips for taking singing lessons at home
Singing is the gateway to a person's soul. No matter whether you sing yourself or listen to someone else singing: Singing triggers feelings and it has even been scientifically proven that singing can increase well-being. But how can you learn to sing without classical singing lessons? We'll give you tips on how to learn to sing from the comfort of your own home.
How can you learn to sing without taking singing lessons?
There are people who are gifted with such talent that they can hit every note perfectly even without singing lessons. Exceptional talent Freddy Mercury is said to never have had lessons and is still considered to be one of the best singers that ever existed.
If you have talent and can already sing well, there are still numerous techniques to get the most out of your voice and not to damage your voice in the long run. You can learn to sing without taking singing lessons. We want to bring you closer to the most important tips and tools here.
Find your pitch
Every singer has his own pitch, which he must determine and know at the beginning. A basic distinction is made between male and female voices. So that you can determine your pitch without the help of a teacher, you should first know the most important terms.
The decisive factor for determining the pitch of the voice is Tessitur or. Range one voice. This is the name of the part of the physically possible vocal range that a singer can permanently produce in a beautiful sound and with the required timbre without suffering any physical damage. So the area in which you feel comfortable vocally and can hit the notes without pressing them.
There are male and female voices. A distinction is made between the male voices:
- bass: If you can sing particularly low notes with ease, then your voice will correspond to the bass. Your vocal range extends roughly from the notes F. to f ’. Examples of famous bass singers are Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash, Barry White or Rammstein singer Till Lindemann.
- Baritone: In the middle area is the baritone pitch, with a vocal range that ranges from G to G '. As a baritone, you can also use the head voice to achieve the tone b ‘. Famous singers in this vocal range are David Bowie, John Mayer, Mick Jagger and Kurt Cobain.
- Tenor: If you are a man with a high-pitched singing voice, then you are a tenor. Your vocal range extends roughly from c to a ‘. Famous tenors include opera stars Jonas Kaufmann and Luciano Pavarotti, but also singers such as Bryan Adams, Ed Sheeran, Justin Timberlake and Stevie Wonder.
- Countertenor: This refers to tenors who can sing female voices (alto or soprano) using the so-called falsetto technique or head voice. However, they are very rare and more likely to be found in classical music. Current examples are the opera singers Andreas Scholl and Philippe Jaroussky.
Female voices are often a little more difficult to determine. Many women think they sing soprano, but their vocal range is more like a high mezzo-soprano. Here you have to practice and try out the areas in which you feel comfortable singing. Basically, a distinction is made between the following voices:
- Old: The deep female voice is called alto and has a vocal range from about g to e. Pure alto voices are rather rare, because most women tend to sing a deep mezzo-soprano and do not get to the lowest note g. Famous singers who sing alto include Cher, Annie Lennox, Tina Turner, and Lady Gaga. As I said, most of them are more like a deep mezzo-soprano.
- Mezzo-soprano: This describes the vocal range between alto and soprano, which has a vocal range of about a to f ’’ includes. Often there are low or high mezzo-sopranos whose range falls below the a or via the f ’’ Famous mezzo-sopranos include Adele, Pink, Aretha Franklin and Miley Cyrus.
- Soprano: The highest female voice range includes notes from c ’to a’ ’, with some female singers being able to hit even higher notes. Famous singers are Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and the opera singer Anna Netrebko.
Of course there are also singers who have a very large vocal range and therefore cover several octaves. Freddie Mercury, for example, had a vocal range of 3.5 octaves. Guns’n’Roses singer Axl Rose holds the record with an unbelievable 5 octaves, closely followed by Mariah Carey. So you can sing multiple voices without any problems.
Decide on a type of singing
As soon as you know which voice range suits you, you should decide on a type of singing. There are big differences between classical, jazz, rock and pop singing, especially when it comes to technology. Ask yourself: What do you like and do you like best?
Basically, jazz, rock and pop singers orient themselves primarily to the speaking voice, while classical singers change their voice "artificially", namely by the so-called Tild technique: the vocal folds are elongated by the vocal cartilage and thus thinner. Professional singers usually acquire a whole repertoire: They have had classical singing training but are also proficient in jazz and rock singing.
To start with, you should commit to one type of singing so that you can perfect it.
Practice practical tips for singing
Even without singing lessons, there are a few things you can watch out for as a beginner. These are for example:
- Breathe consciously: Breathing has to be learned, especially if you want to sing well. You don't need a lot of air to hit the right notes. So don't breathe into your chest, but into your stomach. The best way to practice this is to put one hand on your stomach and take a deep breath until your abdominal wall rises. When you put your hands on your waist and inhale, your abdomen should expand.
- Loosen up your facial muscles: Often we tense our facial muscles without even realizing it. So loosen up your jaw, cheek and forehead muscles by massaging them with both hands. This will help you when singing to hit the right notes.
- Pay attention to your posture: Your voice can only develop fully with good posture. Stand firmly with both feet, but relaxed on the floor. Your knees shouldn't be fully straight, but should be slightly bent. Keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed. Your abs should be slightly tense and your chin should be slightly bent towards your chest so that your neck muscles can relax.
- Warm-up before each exercise: Even if you practice singing at home alone, you should always sing in and warm up your voice. For example, sing variations of the scale.
- Live healthy: Sufficient sleep, a healthy diet and plenty of fluids are important to keep you and your voice fit. Drinking nights and heavy smoking, on the other hand, are poisonous for the voice. Take care of them and make a healthy lifestyle as possible.
The alternative: online singing lessons
Especially as a beginner, it is difficult to learn to sing on your own without any guidance. However, there are various offers online that are also suitable for the small budget: There are tutorials on YouTube (completely free), online courses (for a fee, but usually cheaper than lessons with a private singing teacher) and many practical apps. These even offer you the opportunity to sing in and check whether you hit the notes.
We can also recommend online singing lessons with Jonas Kaufmann. In his more than 8-hour video course you will learn to find your voice, find out what is important when singing, how you feel the music between beat and timing and how you master the balancing act between singing and acting. In the course you will also find many practical exercises that you can use to learn to sing and improve your technique.
- What's your favorite moment for Severus Snape
- How do I start writing poetry?
- What time zone is California
- Italy's student visa
- A guitar belongs to the ensembles
- Is there OpenCV for C.
- Coldplay is a chick band
- What music does the devil hear?
- What colleges do game developers go to
- Is the phenomenon of voice brood regressive
- Are Fortnite macros allowed
- What do you regret after reading English literature
- Who has the nicest legs 1
- How long does a 5000 car last
- Where can my daughter learn art online
- What is an online game
- How would you rate my singing metal
- Why do marketers study social classes
- What is an example of a square
- Why is direct current not used in private households?
- Women are taking over the world
- How do shrimp heads taste
- How do I stop cricket betting
- When are you in the greatest danger?