What celebrity it would be worth to be met
Stone printing or lithography was developed over 200 years ago by the artist and inventor Alois Senefelder (1771-1834). In addition to the invention of printing with movable type by Johannes Gutenberg (around 1400-1468) and the high-speed press by Friedrich Koenig (1774-1833), lithography is one of the three great inventions of Germany in printing.
Lithography, from the ancient Greek λίθος (stone) and γράφειν (write), is the only flat printing process that belongs to the original printing techniques.
After their invention, this printing process was initially used to print text and music. In the course of the 19th century, through experimentation and adaptation over time, lithography became an established printing process. It was not until a few years later that pictures were reproduced with the help of this technique and the way to artist lithography was paved.
A smooth stone is used as a pressure plate for the process. It is then drawn and then the stone is moistened with water. The pores of the stone soak up the water, so that when the printing ink is rolled on, only the areas marked with grease chalk or ink take on the color, but all other surfaces repel them. The actual printing process then takes place by pressing the paper directly onto the stone.
The general interest in the printing process itself is rather low, but the quality of the print plays an important role and should therefore always be checked. The special thing about a lithograph is that the works of art are produced in small editions from an original drawing by the artist.
Paul Klee - Bauhaus Card No. 5
The lithographs printed directly from the original stone are called original lithographs. These are not reproductions; an original lithograph has the potential to be of great value - even if it is 'just' a postcard from Paul Klee.
An original work by a famous artist is often an expensive proposition. An original lithograph, on the other hand, can be quite affordable and still an exclusive work of art of quality and value. There is no mass production, just a limited number of prints. The number of prints is often recorded on the copies and sometimes they are also signed by the artist.
G nter Grass - Preferred sheet for 'Last Dances'
The selection of lithographic art is wide: abstract art, birds, animals, portraits and pen drawings. There is something for everyone here.
It's not just the big, well-known names in the art scene that are interesting: insignificant artists have also created wonderful prints, and these are often more affordable.
Henri Schmid - People in front of the Casino
It is always good to research the artist first - is there a large edition of the print or only a handful of prints? The rarity plays a role in the price. Museums and galleries are good starting points to get a first overview. Artist biographies are also helpful. Why are some lithographers more important than others?
What is the backstory of the article? Is it a single work of art or an illustration for a book or magazine? It can also originally have been part of a work and now represent a collector's item as a single piece.
Chagall - The painter and his image
The history of origin and the condition of the lithograph are important. Who were the previous owners? Is the paper damaged? Stains are not always a blemish on the beauty of a hand-printed work, but the quality of the print and paper should still be checked. After 100 years, printing can certainly have some drawbacks. Maybe the print was framed? A frame or other attachment options can also leave traces.
The most important thing at the end: The selection should always be made according to your own taste first, not after a possible increase in value. A collector's item is always first and foremost an affair of the heart.
You might also be interested in these pages:
The graphic books from Faber & Faber
Peep box leaves
The Five Lives of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- What is the oldest form of aerial art
- Why is colonoscopy so stressful
- What are the attractions of Ajmer
- Shang from Disney's Mulan is bisexual
- What is the least viewed video on YouTube
- How is your country's fast food
- How are trans women not biologically masculine
- What does the word quantum mean
- Where is the Uber Las Vegas airport
- What if the geocentric theory were real
- Who founded the quantum theory?
- A severed head can grow baby legs
- What are the different types of neurosurgeons
- How is the friendship trend changing?
- Is Maratha a language or a caste
- How do you live life sad
- What's new in Google Fuchsia OS
- Midoriya Izuku looks weak for Diavolo
- What happened to Karna's son
- Are there modern romantic writers
- Why do we have to fast
- How is logic used in computer programming
- What is the term of the policy
- Is there a self-hosted Trello alternative
- Where can I find a recycling facility
- Is Ethiopia landlocked due to colonialism
- What is an emergency power supply
- Has a president ever refused
- What is the B3 level in Wipro
- Why are white LEDs so bright
- How does high-frequency trading use algorithms
- What is the manufacturing process for biodiesel
- What was the worst thing you ever had
- Do you look like your spouse