What kind of toilet do you use
Unfortunately, an instruction manual is not a silver bullet when it comes to toilet questions: Time and again we encounter problems in everyday life that leave us sore fingers in the instructions for use. For example, where is it, how to properly transport my mobile toilet, how to properly dispose of it, how to care for it, or how to protect it from wind and weather? Here! 10 practical tips.
1. Disposal of the chemical toilet: the golden "3-day rule"
Many campers are primarily interested in one thing when buying a chemical toilet: How and how often does the device have to be emptied?
One thing is clear: every camper has completely different needs and ways of dealing with things and, in the end, personal experience always wins. The The frequency of emptying depends on, among other things
- the Temperature,
- the frequency the use,
- the Art the use,
- as well as the placement the toilet (indoor or outdoor).
We recommend emptying at least every three days, in the case of several people even every two days. The dosage of the chemicals should also be adjusted accordingly! If the tank is always half emptied, only half the amount of chemicals should be used.
The Advantages of regular emptying before the limit are:
- the tank is not that heavy and can be disposed of more easily
- poor air circulation and heat create a breeding ground for germs over long periods of time.
You can find more information on how exactly a chemical toilet is emptied in our article on how chemical toilets work.
2. Well cared for lasts a lifetime
Regular cleaning prevents long-term contamination.
A chemical toilet can happily accompany you all your life - as long as you treat it well!
Protection against foreign bodies
The most important thing: The toilet housing must not come into contact with any "foreign" materials such as small stones, sand, earth, etc., as they cause friction and thus accelerate wear and tear. By the way, aggressive chemicals are also "foreign bodies"!
Especially the one The sealing ring of the slider device should be regularly removed, washed, dried and then greased. Even without removing it, it can be sprayed with silicone or Teflon sprays, for example. However, it is even better and gentler on material and people Smear with olive oil.
The oil from the Mediterranean region is not only beneficial for the kitchen.
Here it is recommended to be as simple as possible as often as possible. The most effective way to clean dirt, limescale and other contaminants in the toilet is with warm water and a sponge or rag - provided that this process is repeated regularly. A brush helps with stubborn urine stone and only in extreme cases a strong one diluted vinegar essence - If you use this too often and undiluted it can damage the valve seal. For external dirt and dust are suitable Microfiber cloths.
3. Add "toilet helpers"
The use of chemical toilets is made easier if, as a camper, allotment garden owner, boat owner and co., You buy little things that have a big impact.
The Enders toilet paper.
The right toilet paper supports chemical toilets in their work. It must be particularly thin or easily decomposableso that it does not cause problems when emptying the tank. Enders offers the Ensan Soft toilet paper for this purpose, which dissolves completely in the tank.
Trash can and toilet brush
A small trash can of trash bags can be a real boon for an overused chemical toilet. Hygiene items can be disposed of here, while a small toilet brush makes daily cleaning easier and prevents urine stone - you will thank yourself when you empty the chemical toilet!
4. Use of the toilet begins with the transport
What can you go wrong with chemical toilets?
“Transport” doesn't sound like a big problem at first, after all, most camping toilets are designed to be mobile. The Enders Deluxe model, for example, is particularly small, compact, weighs only four kilos and even has castors. What can you do wrong there? If you do everything right, nothing!
- Chemical toilets are usually completely empty, clean, dryand well stowed away to transport. In this way, they can easily be carried well padded in travel bags, suitcases or large rucksacks. Because the Enders Deluxe model weighs only 3.8 kilograms with a height of 36.7 cm, a width of 38 cm and a depth of 44.6 cm (source).
- The associated Sanitary fluids must be well closed and well fastened be transported, preferably in lockable boxes. Although these chemicals are mostly harmless, they should be protected from excessive heat (e.g. near the engine) or cold (e.g. at night without protection against the cold) and from direct contact with the skin. To do this, you should know the ingredients and safety information of the respective sanitary fluids! They usually recommend one Storage and handling in the original container and away from food.
- For mobile homes that do not have a designated space for a chemical toilet, there is Toilet boxes. These keep the toilets upright even when driving, can be made by yourself with a little manual skill - and act as additional seating. Here is an example of the installation of such a device in a VW bus:
A toilet box with practical seating.
A simple structure enables a practical stowage option for the chemical toilet.
5. Find the right pad and environment
A toilet must always be set up well protected - quite the opposite of the toilet in the picture!
In addition to setting up the toilet, a "toilet room" must also be provided for toilets that are not permanently installed in the mobile home. Are central: the right underlay, the right environment, the right protection and adequate comfort.
The chemical toilet should always be on one find space on a stable surface that is level and easy to clean. This enables easy cleaning and use without the risk of falling. Are particularly suitable for this PVC underlays that are very robust and easy to care for are, as well coated polyester coveringsthat are easier to transport.
There are a few Places that should be avoided when setting up a chemical toilet:
- Forest: Whether when camping in the wild, in the allotment garden or on wooded campsites: Trees should be avoided when choosing the location! Because, especially in unstable weather conditions, they pose great dangers in combination with wind, thunderstorms, rain and extreme sun. The same rules apply here as when looking for the perfect tent location.
- Proximity to water: We campers know that water is unpredictable. Whether sea, river, waterfall, lake, pond or hollow in the ground where rainwater can collect, it is better to leave a large distance to water sources!
- Slopes: All steep surfaces can become an absolute danger zone in the event of heavy rain or wind. There shouldn't be a caravan, tent or toilet here!
- People: Going to the loo is an intimate event and toilet tents, cabins and caravan walls should not be overestimated in terms of sound insulation. It is better to set up the "quiet place" in a quiet place, preferably away from the campsite paths, neighbors and common areas.
By the way, you can read answers to all questions about protection, comfort and entertainment in the toilet in our article “How to stay in the quiet place”.
6. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad equipment
Snow has no business near the toilet!
Even if chemical toilets are mobile and practical, they are not indestructible and should be well protected against particularly aggressive external influences for a longer service life. So protect your toilet with the right accessories in front of our sometimes literally stunning nature!
Frost and cold
The general rule: Chemical toilets should only be used in warm or heated locations or during warm seasons. Especially at night and in the early morning hours, however, unexpected drops in temperature can also occur in moderate seasons and especially in mountainous regions. These have a particularly dramatic effect on the proper functioning of chemical toilets: They can freeze flush water and sanitary fluids and thus disable the entire toilet function. Fragile individual parts of the system, such as the slide seal and the ventilation button, can also be damaged.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a “magical” choice of material: The best protection against sudden cold is an "overnight stay" of the toilet indoors as well as shielding the toilet housing with the help of woolen blankets, thermal blankets, tarpaulins, etc.
Good equipment can save a camping holiday even in extreme weather conditions.
Before it rains, the toilet is best - if not through a plastic housing like the Dixi-Klo stable and waterproof tents, pavilions and toilet cubicles protected. These should come with robust rods made of steel, aluminum or fiberglass be supported. The materials of the tents should be particularly water-repellent and high Water column value own - for a discussion about what the terms “waterproof” and “water column” mean on materials, click here.
PVC fabrics protect well, but they are quite heavy and not breathable. One is ideal for camping Polyester baseas the material particularly light, tear-resistant and easy to care for is. You are best protected from external influences with something called this Airtex. This acrylate-coated polyester fabric has an impregnation based on Teflon and is therefore particularly robust and permeable to light and water vapor. Works similarly Trailtex, the one PU coating which multiplies the waterproofness of the material. Further details on material issues when camping can be found in the ADAC camping guide.
Impregnate can provide additional protection to the toilet tent. Our home remedy tip: Acetic acid clay (source).
Sun exposure and heat
Too much light and heat can lead to material wear and tear and increased bacteria and odor formation. The best protection against this is a toilet tent that reflects the sun's rays. Suitable for this bright colors and shiny surfaces. Also a Two-layer tent helps ventilation and protects the toilet housing.
7. Test runs are a must
Even if you know your chemical toilet well in theory, a lot can go wrong in practice. Test runs with water only are therefore mandatory before each seasonto locate leaks or signs of age and to discover your own mistakes in the construction. You should also try emptying and cleaning before using it for the first time.
8. Cleanliness is good, hygiene is better
Hygiene is a top priority when camping.
What looks clean is far from being hygienic. Nowhere is this more emphatically true than in the quiet place, the absolute virus and bacteria paradise. Especially when traveling, the organism is confronted with many new microorganisms that make the immune system really work. To make his work easier, potential sources of danger should be avoided.
- For the filling of the sanitary fluids, the disposal of the excretions and the cleaning and care of the chemical toilet Gloves attract!
- It is best to wash your hands thoroughly after using the toilet with antibacterial soap.
- Disposable sanitary towelsr clean hands practically and hygienically when there is no water available.
- Disposable cleaning wipes ensure that the toilet is cleaned quickly and efficiently when there is a scarcity of water.
- Disinfectants should never be missing when camping.
Careful hand washing can ensure hygiene when camping.
9. Checklists can save vacations!
Even if it sounds pedantic: lists are indispensable on camping and boat trips. They ensure that we can relax consciously, with full confidence that everything is really on board. So quickly tick off our big camping checklist and off into nature!
10. No camping without nature
The love of nature is what drives many campers.
We campers benefit from nature's resources and should therefore treat them with respect and loving care. This is especially true when emptying and cleaning chemical toilets. The sanitary fluids should never come into contact with nature and the contents of the tank should only be disposed of in containers provided for this purpose.
If you use nature as a rubbish dump, you will also find it as a rubbish dump on your next camping holiday. In our next article we therefore want to give you a few tips on how to use your quiet place in harmony with Mother Earth.
Image rights: Chitrapa / en.wikipedia Wikimedia Commons, istockphoto.com/ trendobjects / varela / msymons, Creative Commons Campervancrazy, istockphoto.com/AvatarKnowmad/ChrisBoswell/Sage78/naumoid/derjojo/FrankieCarr
- How good is the government in Mongolia
- Is social contract theory helpful
- Is digital art science
- Is CTS a nice place to work
- Can the Philippines be an export center
- Which nation makes the least mistakes?
- Who are some VCs in Austin TX
- What is quartz sand
- How is the foreign policy of Modis
- Where is the linear output transformer used
- Why aren't all small machine motors brushless
- What is the process of reverse osmosis
- How to sell and buy Siacoin
- Should You Date A Narcissist 1
- Why is Java Swing called Swing
- Have homeowner insurance
- How much does an eviction cost
- What is the web
- How is mechanical energy converted into sound?
- Everything falls freely into space
- Why do countries join wars
- What will help you save money
- What are some secrets about charter schools
- What is free chlorine
- What is audio thinking and thinking visually
- What do slide assistants do
- What is GCET
- Which is better Tensorflow or Scikit
- How do motivation and emotion affect perception?
- Can opinions solve a problem
- What is electron affinity
- Does anyone have any experience with NLP
- What is a tenth of a mile
- Are there hygienic teenagers