Are opticians not respected
Women in science had a hard time in the 20th century. So it's no wonder that the name of Dr. A. Estelle Glancy is hardly known - even though it revolutionized the world of optics. The American scientist developed the lensmeter and applied for a patent for the first varifocals.
Glancy was one of the few women to do her PhD from the University of California at Berkeley in 1913: this would have been the start of her research career. However, it was almost impossible for Glancy to find a position as a researcher. Because as a woman she was not respected in the male domain. In 1918, when she almost gave up looking for a job, she got the opportunity under Dr. Edgar Tillyer worked for American Optical, the largest supplier of glasses in the United States. In the shadow of your male colleagues, she made a significant contribution to the company's most important research projects. Dr. Tillyer would later become famous in the field of optics, but his breakthrough would not have been possible without Glancy's mathematical calculations.
Estelle Glancy was a true pioneer in the optical industry and with her know-how she laid the foundation for many important inventions in the optical sector. As early as 1924, she submitted a patent for progressive lenses - a groundbreaking invention. It was not until 50 years later that progressive lenses were accepted as an alternative to bifocal and trifocal variants. Today varifocals make it easier for people around the world to see. But not only that: She developed the lensometer (synonym: lensometer), the first instrument to reliably measure the performance of a spectacle lens. This technology is still current today and is used by opticians around the world.
Photo: OpticalHistorian (License: CC BY-SA 4.0)
- How would you create a prototype of a beverage starter
- How much older do you feel?
- What is a loopback address
- What is the population of Jalandhar
- Can caffeine increase your life expectancy
- How can I earn Paytm money for free
- What is a WPF frame
- Michael Jackson hated himself
- Have Vedic knowledge of space planets
- Why don't Americans play snooker
- Why don't more people meditate lying down?
- Why does more education mean fewer jobs?
- Can replace Kotlin Scala in data science
- What are the best logo design courses
- How do big companies use psychometric tests?
- Macau is a developed economy
- What are good trauma-based therapy books
- How long does eternal love last
- Why is Microsoft killing Hotmail
- Why watching snooker is easier than playing
- What do you think of Hardik Pandya
- Will be disbanding JYP Got7 soon
- What is the life of life
- Is HootSuite a marketing automation tool