Can we feel the earth turning
Why do we not notice that the earth is racing through space at more than 100,000 km / h?
When we pedal on our bikes, the wind blows in our faces and shows that we are moving fast. If we ride a horse at a gallop, we feel the speed with every movement that the animal makes. In the car, we are pushed into our seats when accelerating, leaned to the side when cornering, and pulled forward when braking. And on the ICE, a look out of the window shows us how fast we whiz through the landscape.
But the earth is much faster. Every year it covers around 940 million kilometers as it orbits the sun. It flies through space at 107,000 km / h - and we with it. Yet we do not notice any of it.
There are mutliple reasons for this. Probably the most important one sounds paradoxical at first: We do not feel that the earth is racing through space because it always does it in the same way.
In other words: the speed at which our planet orbits the sun is almost constant. And physically, an object that is constantly moving has a lot in common with one that is stationary. Because a force only works as long as something is accelerated or decelerated. And a person can only feel this power when something gets slower or faster.
Because no wind swirls our hair, we think we are standing still in the interior of an airplane
For example, if we sit as passengers on an airplane, it presses us into the cushions when the jet rolls over the runway and takes off into the sky - that is, while it is accelerating. But once the aircraft has reached its cruising speed, we hardly notice that we are moving, even if we are flying through the atmosphere at up to 900 km / h.
We don't feel anything because the air around us moves with it in the interior of the aircraft - just as quickly as we do. If we were sitting on a wing, it would be something completely different: There we would whiz through air that does not move, that would slow us down through its frictional resistance - and push us down from the wing.
In the plane, on the other hand, travelers do not have any accelerating or braking forces that we can feel. And because no wind swirls our hair and the sky in front of the window is monotonous blue, we think we are standing still.
It is the same with the movement of the earth. Because our planet neither accelerates nor brakes, we do not notice that we are shooting through space at 30 times the speed of a pistol. And because everything around us - trees, seas and even the atmosphere - also travels with the earth, we do not notice the movement.
It's only gravity that we feel all the time. It keeps us and all matter on the ground. Even the atmosphere hugs our planet due to gravity as it speeds through space. Nothing disturbs this gas envelope or tugs at it, because the earth flies through the empty space.
Seen in this way, it resembles the airplane that transports the air inside. And therefore don't even feel a real headwind.
If the earth came to a standstill, the oceans would slosh out of their basins
Only the stars in the sky are not part of the "planet earth" system and change their position while the earth is moving. But because they are extremely far away and our home planet needs a whole year to orbit the sun, its speed can hardly be determined on them without detailed investigations.
The fact that we see stars, planets and sun rise and set in the firmament every clear night is due to a second movement of the earth: It rotates around itself once a day. And we feel nothing of this rotation either - from the same ones Reasons that apply to orbiting the sun. Because everything around us rotates with it.
However, if our planet suddenly came to a standstill - regardless of whether it ended its rotation or the migration around the sun - we would very well notice this and indeed drastically. Because like a car driver who is not wearing seat belts in a rear-end collision, people - and everything that is not firmly anchored in the world - would move on once more.
That means: cars would fly through the area; Seas slosh out of their basins. And everyone on earth would be thrown for miles through the air.#Subjects
- How many people want One Direction back
- Is light a wave or a particle
- What is your favorite WYSIWYG software
- Schedule an operation
- Why do people call their toilets
- Is recognized the LPU government
- Who are some active Asian NFL players
- What can lead to food becoming unsafe?
- Does sugar affect the intestinal flora
- What is the math equation for happiness
- How are planes protected from lightning
- Can use Sasuke Shinra Tensei
- Other countries have area codes
- Where can I find a recycling facility
- Under what circumstances do you feel disrespected?
- Is LED fluorescent or incandescent
- What effects will Brexit have on Estonia?
- Where does Nicki Minaj live now
- What is SQL Server Developer
- How great was King Aurangzeb Alamgir
- How do I prepare for AEE Civil
- Why does ISRO not have funding like NASA
- What does a broken down narcissist look like
- Does ExpressVPN work in China
- What is Apple Watch Sleep
- What makes a person love someone
- Why are some people picky eaters
- Which Pixar movie has the best soundtrack?
- Are you bullied a lot?
- What is CTF in Cybersecurity
- What religious event occurs after Easter?
- What part of a plant is garlic
- Is Iran a forgotten country
- Will the quality of fast food improve