Who is the author of Bayeux Tapestry
The Bayeux Tapestry
Novak, Elfriede (2012) The Bayeux Tapestry.
Diploma thesis, University of Vienna. Faculty of historical and cultural studies
Supervisor: Scharer, Anton
All rights reserved
Link to u: search
Abstract in German
The present work on the Bayeux Tapestry deals with the description of the pictorial document, its quite controversial production history and the chronology of its transmission. The contemporary sources and thus the historical background of the events and people described in this manual work are discussed. Finally, it is examined whether and how these conflict-laden circumstances, a most likely Norman client and a presumably Anglo-Saxon artist responsible for the design, or Anglo-Saxon embroiderers, have shaped the historical image of the pictorial document. The written contemporary sources are examined using a few examples for divergent Anglo-Saxon and Norman interpretations of the events, v. a. to what extent they served the propaganda of the new Norman elite. In comparison with written Norman and Anglo-Saxon sources, the tapestry shows similarities and deviations. The contradictions can probably be explained by the apparently pro-Norman (propaganda) and the hidden pro-Anglo-Saxon intentions (resistance) ordered. The artist created a work that shows the Norman victory without degrading the defeated Anglo-Saxons or hiding their victims. Furthermore, based on this masterpiece from the Anglo-Norman era, the narrative technique of this time is analyzed and the question is investigated whether the work of art is a novelty or whether and how the narrative technique used here can be found in other works of art.
Keywords in German
Bayeux Tapestry / Normans / Anglo-Saxons / William the Conqueror / Harold of Wessex / Battle of Hastings
Keywords in English
The Bayeux Tapestry / normans / anglo-saxons / William the Conqueror / Harold of Wessex / Battle of Hastings(The PDF layout is identical to the print version of the university thesis.)
Copyright notice: The Austrian Copyright Act applies without restriction to documents that are offered in electronic form via data networks; in particular, according to § 42 UrhG, copies and reproductions are only permitted for personal and private use. For details, see the legal text.
|Edit document (only for administrators)|
- A cell consumes energy during osmosis
- Trump's political suffering affects his family
- Why are frozen desserts frozen
- What was your biggest mistake in life
- What is the greatest threat to agriculture
- How is the friendship trend changing?
- Exists perfection What is imperfection
- Why does Pakistan finance terrorists
- How do ChipTAN barcodes work
- How similar is Trumpcare Obamacare
- Is the company good or bad
- What is the difference between nourishment and recovery
- How does the Keynesian economy relate to GDP?
- Quora loses quality
- What is meant by finally
- What are mistakes that mothers make
- What does contrary evidence mean?
- Do you like the Rammstein Band
- Why do people have different sexualities
- Push-ups can make your hands stronger
- Is formic acid monobasic or dibasic
- Why shouldn't I buy an IKEA desk?
- How important is branding to wine companies
- What is your favorite fuel additive