Why does my spine hurt?
Upper back pain
Your pharmacy recommends
If back pain is so severe and persistent that it interferes with the daily routine, we recommend taking painkillers (NSAIDs). Because of the side effects, the pain relievers should not be taken for more than 3 days without consulting a doctor.
Massages, heat or cold (depending on individual needs) and various electrical currents have a pain-relieving effect. Warmth soothes and relaxes the muscles, thereby helping to relieve pain. Sometimes warm full baths also help (soothing: lemon balm, lavender; stimulating and circulation-promoting: rosemary), warm compresses (hay flower, fango), a hot water bottle or heat pillow in bed, blood circulation-promoting plasters (e.g. with capsicum, the active ingredient of chilli).
Work chairs should have a backrest that moves with you and supports your back at the same time. The correct height of the table and chair is also important. Ideally, the upper and lower arms as well as the upper and lower legs form at least a right angle. When the arms rest loosely on the armrests, this position relieves the shoulder area. Palm rests in front of the keyboard also relax the shoulders while typing, but are also good for the neck.
To keep moving.
As long as the doctor does not prescribe otherwise for acute pain, movement is allowed and is good for the spine. This mobilization of the spine is particularly useful for people who sit many hours a day. A regular change of position during the working day prevents bad posture. For example, integrated standing desks at the desk, on which the phone stands, or height-adjustable table tops ensure that people get up regularly. The frequency is more important than the duration of the interruption. Experts also recommend compensating for the lack of exercise at work with sport in your free time. It is even better to cycle to work: If the distance allows this, it means movement in everyday work without spending a lot of additional time. In addition to classic sports, there are also alternative forms of movement such as yoga, which stretch and strengthen the back gently to vigorously. At the same time, yoga relaxes and reduces stress and tension.
For chronic back pain problems, the treatment is supplemented by mind-body therapies. Techniques such as autogenic training reduce stress and relieve tension through self-relaxation. Some patients with back pain are helped by Jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation, in which muscle groups are consciously tensed and then loosened again. The procedures are primarily prophylactic.
AuthorsDr. med. Arne Schäffler; Dr. med. Brigitte Strasser-Vogel; in: Gesundheit heute, edited by Dr. med. Arne Schäffler. Trias, Stuttgart, 3rd edition (2014). Editorial processing: Miriam Knauer | last changed on at 12:34
- Where can I find good guest bloggers
- What is the new trend in decorating
- Why is Robert De Niro so cool
- What does the Persian word donesh mean
- Which business is suitable in Madurai
- Hydronium ion is the strongest acid
- Why do we hate Rachel Friends
- Who hacked Adnan Sami's Twitter account
- Why am I bleeding from my eyes
- Why is copper used in electrical wiring
- When will UberPool be available in Minnesota?
- Which Crossfit goals have you achieved?
- How to dispose of a sick plant
- Like the Time Lords
- What is your first connection with Ukraine
- Can intuition be more useful than intelligence
- Getting backlinks doesn't make sense
- Should Quora allow anonymous users
- What are the best sunglasses designs
- Which companies use a multi-colored butterfly logo?
- How many black people are there in America?
- Which iPhone is better 6s or 6plus
- Who invented the night lights
- What are gentle skin cleansers