What are the best artificial intelligence colleges
Artificial Intelligence studies: These universities teach and do research on AI
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a key for many industries to be productive with data. AI experts will be wanted on the job market for many years. But how do you actually become an AI expert? We have put together the current options for studying Artificial Intelligence.
Artificial intelligence can be found in more and more products and solutions - from chatbots and digital assistants to software image recognition and autonomous vehicles. The importance of AI will increase and be used in more and more areas. Many universities and technical colleges in Germany have now recognized the additional need for skilled workers with AI skills. The offer for a degree in Artificial Intelligence is therefore also growing steadily.
On the definition of artificial intelligence
One of the current reasons why the demand for artificial intelligence is increasing is the successes in machine learning - in particular, deep learning and artificial neural networks are in the spotlight. These are only two small parts of what artificial intelligence is all about. Choosing the right university is therefore not easy. Because a look at the chairs and curricula reveals that the concept and understanding of artificial intelligence no uniform definition underlie.
According to a study, there are currently (as of 2019) 192 professorships for artificial intelligence in Germany, in total 75 courses for bachelor's and master's degrees as well as a doctoral degree with a focus on artificial intelligence. Since the Science Year 2019, announced by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), is officially under the topic of Artificial Intelligence, it is to be expected that the number will continue to increase.
Artificial intelligence as a branch of data science
The research topic artificial intelligence has been established for a comparatively long time. The first scientific events and essays on the topic date from the late 1950s. One difficulty with the desired course on Artificial Intelligence is the definition of it itself. Since it is a sub-area of data science, there are also lectures and seminars on this topic in this context. The same applies to the study of computer science and robotics.
Reading tip: Data Science as a degree: With all aspects of the "Data Scientist Training" we have dealt with it in detail in a blog article.
There is no one degree course in Artificial Intelligence due to the lack of a uniform definition. Due to the Variety of content and application options it is also questionable whether this could actually cover all aspects of the subject comprehensively and whether this is required in practice. When selecting the course, you should therefore ensure that your own interests and the career you are aiming for are the key factors in the decision.
As an interdisciplinary course, the Artificial Intelligence course builds on a correspondingly wide range of content from both technical and natural science disciplines as well as from the field of human sciences. These include:
- Human cognitive abilities (psychology and neurology)
- Computer science and computer science
The JKU Linz in Austria, one of the few universities in Europe that offers an exemplary overview of specific areas of specialization Artificial Intelligence as an independent course of study to offer. In addition to learning a programming language and a basic understanding of how algorithms work, the curriculum also includes dealing with AI and society, i.e. discussing the importance of artificial intelligence for society as a whole and the human-machine interfaces in everyday life and work.
Duration and course of studies
In principle, all bachelor's degree programs in the European area are standardized by the Bologna guidelines. Accordingly, courses of study that overlap with the study of artificial intelligence such as machine learning, humanoid robotics and data science, to name just a few, run on that Achievement of 180 ECTS Points including the preparation of a bachelor thesis, or 120 ECTS and a master's thesis.
The standard period of study is between 6 and 7 semesters(Bachelor) or 2-4 semesters (Master). Depending on the country and institute in question, the composition and content of compulsory, advanced and elective modules as well as courses that must be successfully completed vary. Study-related internships are more the rule than the exception and, depending on motivation and curiosity, semesters abroad are also possible.
In Germany, the General university entrance qualification, subject-specific university entrance qualification or a comparable educational qualification, even if individual subjects in connection with the study of artificial intelligence may be restricted by a numerus clausus (NC). Previous internships can also be assumed. Since such courses are often offered in English in Europe, proof of language proficiency may be required.
Degree programs in Germany
In total, there are currently at least 29 bachelor's degree programs on the subject of artificial intelligence or subjects with a corresponding focus. Here is a selection of study opportunities in Germany:
Bachelor Data Science & Scientific Computing from winter semester 2020/2021 at the Munich University of Applied Sciences
|University / college||Course of study||Start of studies||graduation|
|Munich University of Applied Sciences||Data Science & Scientific Computing||Winter semester||Bachelor|
|University of Beuth Berlin||Humanoid Robotics (restricted admission)||Winter semester||Bachelor of Engineering|
|Bielefeld University||Cognitive computer science||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
|TH Deggendorf||Artificial intelligence||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
|TH Ingolstadt||Artificial intelligence (restricted admission)||Winter semester||Bachelor|
|University of Stuttgart||Data science||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
|HDM Stuttgart||Media informatics (with a focus on artificial intelligence)||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
|University of Marburg||Data Science (focus on machine learning possible)||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
|TH Ostwestfalen-Lippe||Data Science (dual study)||Summer semester / winter semester||Bachelor|
At least 46 courses at German universities enable a master's degree with an AI focus. In many cases, however, this is not simply a study of artificial intelligence. Here is a selection:
|University / college||Course of study||Start of studies||graduation|
|LMU Munich||Data Science (prerequisite: Bachelor of Science in Statistics or Computer Science and very good knowledge of English)||Summer semester / winter semester||master|
|Technical University of Munich (TMU)||Robotics, Cognition, Intelligence (requirement: very good knowledge of English)||Summer semester / winter semester||master|
|Chemnitz University||Data science||Summer semester / winter semester||master|
|Darmstadt College||Data science||Summer semester / winter semester||Master Data Science|
|University of Mannheim||Data Science (focus: data management, data mining and text mining, predictive analytics and statistics)||Summer semester / winter semester||Master of Data Science|
|University of Marburg||Data Science (focus: data mining, algorithms and data management)||Summer semester / winter semester||Master of Data Science|
|University of Potsdam||Data science||Summer semester / winter semester||master|
|Bielefeld University||Intelligent Systems and Data Science (each with a focus on AI, machine learning and robotics)||Summer semester / winter semester||master|
|University of Tübingen||Machine learning||Winter semester||master|
While independent master’s degrees in artificial intelligence have been offered for some time, the comparatively small bachelor’s degree program is also gradually growing. Here is a selection of locations and study opportunities around the world:
- UPES (Dehradun, India) - Computer science and engineering specializing in artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Morgan State University (Baltimore, USA) - Computer Science
- Savonia University of Applied Science (Kuopio; Finland) - Internet of Things
- Kozminski University (Warsaw, Poland) - Management and Artificial Intelligence
- University of Groningen (Groningen, Netherlands) - Artificial Intelligence
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - Artificial Intelligence
- University For Information Science and Technology (Ohrid, Macedonia) - Machine Intelligence and Robotics
Examples of master’s programs abroad
- University of Bath Online (Bath, UK) Artificial Intelligence
- EPITA (Paris, France) Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence Systems
- University of Skövde (Norrmalm, Sweden) MSc in intelligent automation
- MIA Digital University (Barcelona, Spain) Master in Computer Science specializing in cybersecurity, data analysis and artificial intelligence
- Boston University (Boston, USA) MSc in Artificial Intelligence
Non-university institutions and study opportunities
In addition to studying Artificial Intelligence, there are numerous other opportunities to deal with the topic outside of the university. Above all, AI online courses should be mentioned here. Numerous Websites and platforms convey important skills and knowledge on artificial intelligence and its sub-areas. In addition to free offers, there are also courses that are subject to a fee, for example on the “Udemy” learning platform.
Non-university AI research institutes in Germanyare:
- German Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft: e.g. the Fraunhofer Institute for Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems IAIS; Fraunhofer Big Data and Artificial Intelligence Alliance; Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications, Heinrich Hertz Institute, HHI
- Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V .: e.g. the Max Plank Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM)
- “Cyber Valley” research network: Consists of the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, the Universities of Stuttgart and Tübingen, and companies such as Daimler, Bosch, Amazon and Facebook
As well as associations:
- KI-Bundesverband e.V.
- Bitkom Federal Association for Information Technology, Telecommunications and New Media e.V.
The broad and interdisciplinary spectrum of skills offers opportunities to start a career in almost all industries after successfully completing the degree. From the development of medical diagnostic software to process optimization in industry and goods traffic to research institutes and software companies, there are opportunities in practically every area in which technology is used.
Studying Artificial Intelligence is demanding - but the job prospects are bright.
Studying Artificial Intelligence is one of the most future-proof subjects and the future earning potential is also high. But it is also clear that the course content is demanding. In addition, it is worthwhile to look at your own professional career first. The more precise the ideas and goals, the easier it is to choose the right course of study. The non-university facilities and learning opportunities offer a good introduction to the topic and should therefore be used in advance if possible.
- My Upi Pin
- Why does America greet America with the palm down?
- How do I change a computer ID
- How has emo culture influenced hipster culture
- How do I fix MBR error 1
- What is Jeff Bezo's exercise program
- How did you create your first MVP
- How do I take the time to volunteer?
- How long do rabbits live in captivity
- What is absurdity in life
- Are the wildlings rednecks
- What is the best hotwife hypnosis
- What is a pharmacy week
- What is the maximum speed of 6G
- How do I make Jaljeera
- What gives you stress Why
- How can I get excited about football?
- How has the counterculture affected American society?
- Where can I find free electricity
- People's vocabulary is expanding or shrinking
- Is Google Docs better than Microsoft Word
- Why is networking important in social work
- When will Goku die forever
- What is the backstory of famous music labels