What is a Freekah Salad
Freekeh salad with za’atar
Whenever I prepare something with Freekeh, I have the song by Run D.M.C. in the ears. The song is called "It's Tricky", but in my strange brain the song always changes to "It's Freaky"
Freekeh, of course, has nothing to do with freaky. It is green, i.e. unripe, harvested wheat that is dried and roasted. Roasting makes the wheat long-lasting and tastes brilliantly smoky.
In Lebanon, Freekeh (or Farik or Frikeh) has been prepared for over 5 million years (yes, I like to exaggerate), but recently it has been gaining more and more fans in western countries. Green wheat with its nutrients is a real superfood - and it's cheap too. In the Lebanese, Syrian or Turkish supermarket you can usually get a kilo for as little as 2 euros.
Speaking of nutrients, roasted wheat has twice as much fiber as quinoa and four times as much fiber as whole grain rice. And what makes it so special is the high protein content. A full 16 grams per 100 grams are in it - that's almost as much as in meat or fish. If you want to know more about it, I recommend my Freekeh Guide.
The salad is not only a real filler, but also incredibly healthy and, above all, delicious! The smoky aroma gives the salad a nice, hearty note. And thanks to its consistency, which is very reminiscent of brown rice, you also have a lot between your teeth.
Convinced? Okay, you go get yourself a pack of Freekeh and conjure up the salad and I'll treat myself to another round of Run D.M.C.
Recipe for Freekeh Salad with Za’atar
Freekeh salad with za’atar
- Wash the Freekeh properly in water in a bowl and then discard the water. (Please wash really thoroughly, as small stones sometimes get lost with the wheat).
- Briefly bring the washed Freekeh to the boil with 1 teaspoon of salt in the water and then turn it back to the lowest setting.
- Put the lid on the pot and let the Freekeh cook for about 15 minutes. The water is completely gone in the end.
- Then let the Freekeh cool down.
- Cut the vegetables, squeeze the lemon half and roughly chop the herbs.
- Mix the Freekeh with the vegetables, herbs, olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and za'atar.
- How to remove nail polish naturally
- Which government examinations can an IT engineer give
- How can Paris become a cleaner place
- Should Hitler's house be destroyed
- Have Indian Muslims spoken out against the liberation war in Bangladesh
- Why is a rooster called a rooster
- Can a politician be a civil servant
- Can Kibana be connected to MongoDB
- Can a transgender woman still ejaculate MtF?
- Do you wish that God existed?
- Where can I buy the guitar set
- Why are my hen eggs soft
- What projects are taking place in Thessaloniki
- Why not PhoneGap
- Why did the Romans eat lying down?
- Which online investment company really pays off
- Can there be life on a quantum scale?
- What does subversion
- How does clustering work in data science
- What medications have helped you the most
- Which nation makes the least mistakes?
- Are there good circuses in Sacramento US
- How does the FIITJEE Pinnacle program work
- What are some great books on pricing
- What do Marlboro points get
- How is data passed through copper
- XML is an extension of HTML
- Did Shakespeare influence your writing
- Hows Akash Institute for IIT JEE
- How safe is Mumbai for girls
- What about AC at the BITS Pilani Hostel
- Who is Menoitius in Greek Mythology
- What does year Ysgol mean in Welsh
- How is your country's fast food