1 0 04 is the same
Fractions and decimal fractions
You already know that there are numbers that lie on the number line between the whole numbers (e.g. between 0 and 1).
For prices you use decimal fractions (1.99 €), for quantities you use fractions ($$ 1/2 $$ kg strawberries). Mathematically, it doesn't matter whether you enter a value as a fraction or as a decimal fraction.
But how are the spellings related? How can you transform them into each other? Here we go:
Decimal fractions are also called decimal numbers. You can also say point numbers, but that's colloquial.
A quick reminder
This is what a break looks like
In the fraction $$ 4/5 $$ (read: four fifths) is that and that of. In between stands the Fraction line.
This indicates how many parts the whole has been divided into, or how big the parts are; so he named the parts.
This indicates how many of these parts are used; he used the parts.
So in the example above the whole thing has been broken up into parts, and parts of them have been used.
This is what a decimal fraction looks like
The best way to imagine a decimal fraction, such as $$ 36.45 $$, is in the place value table:
(z stands for tenths, h for hundredths)
The number $$ 36.45 $$ consists of $$ 3 $$ tens, $$ 6 $$ ones, $$ 4 $$ tenths and $$ 5 $$ hundredths.
Tenth? Hundredths? Sounds like breaks? Yes!
You can also simply say $$ 45 $$ hundredths for the digits after the decimal point.
How do you write a fraction as a decimal fraction?
Now the conversion: Expand or shorten the fraction until you have a Power of ten receive. Then you can write the fraction as a decimal fraction.
Example 1: Convert $$ 3/5 $$ to a decimal fraction.
The best way to expand $$ 3/5 $$ is to add $$ 2 $$.
$$ 3/5 stackrel (2) = (3 * 2) / (5 * 2) = 6/10 = 0.6 $$
$$ 6/10 $$ you say "six tenths". That makes a 6 in the tenth place of the decimal fraction.
Example 2: Convert $$ 1/25 $$ to a decimal fraction.
$$ 1/25 stackrel (4) = (1 * 4) / (25 * 4) = 4/100 = 0.04 $$
Example 3: Convert $$ 27/60 $$ to a decimal fraction.
Can't find a reduction or expansion number that leads to 10, 100, or 1000?
Sometimes it takes several steps to come up with a suitable denominator. Trick: First shorten with $$ 3 $$ and then expand with $$ 5 $$.
$$ 9/20 stackrel (5) = (9 * 5) / (20 * 5) = 45/100 = 0.45 $$
This is how you walk one Fraction into a decimal fraction around:
Expand or shorten until you have a power of ten in the denominator. The decimal fraction has as many decimal places as the denominator has zeros.
Powers of ten are the numbers $$ 10 $$, $$ 100 $$, $$ 1000 $$, $$ 10000 $$ etc.
kapiert.decan do more:
- interactive exercises
- individual classwork trainer
- Learning manager
How do you write a decimal fraction as a fraction?
This transformation is even easier than the other direction. Everything you need can be read directly from the decimal fraction.
Example 1: Convert $$ 0.17 $$ to a fraction.
The decimal fraction $$ 0.17 $$ has 2 places after the decimal point.
You know that the second digit after the decimal point in the place value table is “hundredths”. 0.17 is the same as 17 hundredths.
As a fraction: $$ 17/100 $$
$$0,3 = 3/10$$
Examples with abbreviations:
If you can truncate fractions, always do that before moving on. Then you don't need to “juggle” large numbers.
$$0,250 = 250/1000 = 25/100 = 1/4$$
When you convert a decimal fraction to a fraction, you see how many digits after the decimal point the decimal fraction has. That's the number of zeros in your power of ten fraction. As soon as possible.
- Why did the continents separate
- Can carnivores be good at heart
- Is gnocchi mast
- What does stochastic premium mean
- Why do men not use shaving products for women
- How Square Inc achieves customer acquisition
- Which startup failed the most spectacularly
- How has technology changed parenting
- What are the benefits of studying mining
- What are some examples of trading blocks
- What are the best blues guitar solos
- How do I pocket my eyebrows
- What is the best music or film
- Do you like Christmas parodies
- What makes a great vocal melody
- How can I improve my ACT score
- How can someone have more influence
- Are the Houthis anti-Semitic
- Will the CRS score slide this time
- How to do the full factorization
- What is CSS5
- What does Space Junk 1
- Can policemen hurt people?
- What is the formula of sodium zincate
- What is in the subconscious
- Who are some aspiring thriller writers
- Tolkien was rich during his lifetime
- How is the health in South Africa
- Will a current flow through bamboo
- What are the best spoken English books
- When will Rihanna buy the Liverpool football club?
- What is meant by yard
- What is your dream lawn mower