How great was King Aurangzeb Alamgir

Round trip North Carnataka: Bijapur

Bijapur is a city in the district of the same name in Karnataka and famous for its magnificent, historically significant monuments, which were formed during the Adil Shahi dynasty (1490-1686). The city was built by Kalyani Chalukyas during the 10th and 11th centuries and is called Vijayapura ("City of Victory"). In the late 13th century, the city came under the rule of Khilji Sultanates in Delhi. In 1347 the area was conquered by the Bahmani Sultanates of Gulbarga. At that time the city was called Vijapur or Bijapur.
In 1518 the Bahmani Sultanates split into five states, which are known as the Deccan Sultanates. One of these sultanates was Bijapur. Bijapur owes its size to Yusuf Adil Shah, the founder of the independent state of Bijapur. This rule was ended in 1686 when the Mughal Mughal Muhammad Aurangzeb Alamgir (November 3rd, 1618 - March 3rd, 1707) took Bijapur.


Gol Gumbaz

is the most famous monument of the Adil Shah dynasty. It is the tomb of Mohammed Adil Shah (he ruled from 1627-1657), which was built in 1659 by the famous architect Yacut of Dabul. The burial chamber consists of a 50 x 50 m measuring chamber, which is covered with a large dome, which has a diameter of approx. 38 m. This makes it the second largest, column-free cathedral structure in the world. The cathedral is supported by huge supporting arches, which in turn are supported by ledges. The acoustics of the enclosed space make the gallery a true echo building, where the smallest noise at the other end sounds like a choir. There is a visitor's balcony from which you can try out the echo and where every whisper, every bludger and every smallest noise is repeated about 10 times. Everything you say at the end of the gallery can be heard clearly at the other end. It is said that the Sultan Ibrahim Adil Shah and his wife communicated in the same way and that the musicians in that gallery played and sang so that it could be heard everywhere.

 

Ibrahim Rauza

is the tomb of Ibrahim Adil Shah II (ruled from 1580-1627), who was the fifth king of the dynasty and, like the Mughal Mughal Akbar, who is considered the most important ruler of India next to Ashoka, for his tolerance of religion. His grave was built on only one stone and is known for the symmetry of the propotions, its elaborately designed walls, its finely worked minarets, domes, parapets and ceiling moldings. The engraved elements, adorned with crosses, lotus flowers and wheels, show the various beliefs that were practiced during the dynasty. It is said that the Ibrahim Rauza was the model for the construction of the Taj Mahal.

Jumma Masjid

was founded by Ali Adil Shah I (1558-1580) and is one of the oldest and largest mosques in India. The mosque consists of a large hall, elegant vaults, complex decorations and a huge, onion-like dome, which is surrounded by numerous smaller domes. It is known as the jewel of Adil Shah architecture. Aurangzed later had a large entrance built and the floor painted with 2250 rectangles, one for each person praying and with an exquisite illustration of the Qur'an in gold. Barah Kaman is another wonderful work of art, with twelve nested arches and the unfinished tomb of Ali Adil Shah II.

Malik-e-Maidan

or "the lord of the battlefield" or "the monarch of the prairie" is the longest medieval cannon in the world. It is four meters long, one and a half meters in diameter and weighs 55 tons. The platform on which it stands is called the Sherza Burj (exit of the lion) and was specially built for the cannon. The great barrel of the cannon can be seen in the shape of a lion or dragon with an open jaw and claws echoing an elephant on either side. The small ears are pierced so that the chains could be attached. It is a cast of a mixture of copper, iron and tin and when you strike it it sounds like bells. The outside of the cannon is dark green, polished like glass and decorated with inscriptions in Persian and Arabic. Apparently, after igniting the cannon, the gunner stayed underwater in a tank to protect himself from the huge explosion. In 1854 the cannon was bought for 150 Rs., But the sale did not take place in the end.

Upli Buruj

or “Hyder Burj” was built by Hyder Khan in 1584 and is a 25 meter high tower in the north of Dakhani Idgah in Bijapur. It is a brick-built bearing tower with a viewing platform on top from which you can see the city. There are also two large cannons on the plateau. The tower was used as a lookout tower, but was fenced in today. However, due to the sloppy construction, there are no references to the citadel wall near the tower.

Bara Kaman

is the mausoleum of Ali Adil Shah, the penultimate ruler of his dynasty. Ali Adil Shah planned a gigantic structure. Twelve horizontal and twelve vertical stone arches would have formed what is probably the largest structure of its time. Today you can still see the huge foundation. About five meters of the ten meter thick foundation are visible. The twelve horizontal stone arches can still be admired.

According to a legend, the construction was stopped because his shadow Gol Gumbaz would have covered the mausoleum of his father, Mohammed Adil Shah.

Chand Bawdi

was founded by Ali Adil Shah (1558-1580) and was named after his wife (Chand Bibi), who is famous for defending against the Mughal fighter Akbar. After the fall of the Vijayanagar Empire, many people came to Bijapur and settled within the walls. Therefore one had to improve the infrastructure and the water supply. Chand Bawdi was a huge water reservoir with a capacity of 20 million liters and more reservoirs were built later. A large complex was built around the water reservoir, which was mainly used to preserve and store the reservoir, where the aristocratic family sometimes took a rest there.

Michael Häuslmeier - Tel. +43 650 909 9009 - e-mail: [email protected]