Which plants attack aphids
Fight aphids naturally
Whether rose, sunflower or tomato: hardly any plant in the garden is safe from aphids. Fortunately, there are natural ways to control these critters.
They are one of the most common pests in the garden: aphids. The small insects attack both ornamental and useful plants. About 650 species are native to us, some are green, others black, brownish or yellow. They all feed on the sugary sap that they suck out of the plants with their proboscis. Once they have attacked a plant, aphids often multiply very quickly, depending on the weather. It is therefore advisable to act as soon as the first signs of an infestation appear.
How do I recognize an aphid infestation?
Most aphids can be seen with the naked eye. Crippled or rolled up leaves indicate an infestation, and some of the buds fall off. Another clue is the sticky coating, the so-called honeydew, that the lice leave on the plants. Because the animals only use a small part of the sap, they excrete the rest. Honeydew, in turn, is an ideal breeding ground for certain fungi, so aphids can damage the plant in two ways.
Which natural remedies help against aphids?
If the infestation is only slight, it helps to spray the plants with a hard jet of water or to wipe the animals off the leaves with your finger. If you can already see a lot of aphids, it doesn't have to be the chemical club. The following biological agents also fight the pests effectively:
- Neemol: Spray the plants thoroughly all around with diluted neem oil as early as possible in the morning, after a few days the plant is pest-free. Both pure neem oil and ready-to-use mixtures for spraying or watering are available in garden centers.
- Nettle broth: Put two handfuls of nettles in a bucket, pour two liters of cold water on it and let it steep for twelve hours. Thoroughly spray infested plants with it.
- Soapnut brew: ten Soap nuts Boil (available in drugstores and health food stores) in a liter of water and spray the plants with the cooled brew.
- Sud from Tansy: Boil 100 grams of dried tansy with one liter of water for half an hour. The cooled brew is diluted with water. A ratio of 1:10 is sufficient for less infestation and 1: 6 for more severe infestation.
- Sud from Field horsetail: Ingredients: 150 grams of field horsetail, a large onion, a bulb of garlic and a little oil per liter of water. Chop the stalks, roughly dice the onion and garlic and add them to boiling water. Add a little oil, stir everything, simmer for 15 minutes and then leave to cool. For spraying, mix the cooled brew in a ratio of 1: 5 with water. Field horsetail also helps prevent pests and fungal infections.
- Beneficial insects settle in the garden, because they eat a lot of aphids. A seven-point ladybug can manage 100-150 aphids a day. In addition to the local ladybird, gall midges and lacewings are suitable. The larvae are available from specialist retailers. Earwigs are also effective in combating aphids. If you want to let them feel at home in the garden, hang a flowerpot filled with straw with the open side down in a tree. In such a shelter, catchy tunes feel particularly at home. The Asian ladybird is unsuitable. Although it also kills many aphids, it can pose a threat to local ladybirds.
- One nesting box hang up in the garden. When rearing the offspring, tits and co. Feed lots of aphids and other pests to the always hungry young birds.
The widespread tip of simply spraying a mixture of water and washing-up liquid or alcohol on the plants is not recommended, as chemical substances can get into the environment in this way.
This topic in the program:
North Tour | 04/11/2020 | 6:00 p.m.
- Why did DJI stop selling the Spark
- Who makes the best umbrellas
- What are some faux fur coats
- Are there Estonians living in Latvia?
- What music is Russia known for?
- IITRAM is good for other government students
- Are Apple batteries better than Android batteries
- How can I get traffic today
- How important is next in Node js
- When did pianos have pedals?
- May omeprazole help in the treatment of diverticulitis
- What are some space-related films
- What does phytoplankton eat
- Corruption is an African creation
- What is the supply chain 4 0
- What are some cute canvas backpacks
- Why did the backplane fail
- PTSD flashbacks disappear
- What is gratitude in English
- How fast is the SpaceX rocket
- Are CFL lightbulbs a fire hazard?
- How do you monitor Docker in production
- When does the tailgating start for you?
- Which country started the guillotine first?
- What do you personally think of gypsies
- Are binaural beats safe or not
- How are cadets treated in academies
- Motor vehicle costs are an issue
- Dwyane Wade has a son
- It is worth buying identity theft insurance
- What is wrong sharing in parallel processing
- Is Manav Rachna International University good
- How did El Chapo come to power