What will Amazon do next with Alexa
You should know these voice commands for Amazon Alexa
By Marlene Polywka and Thomas Porwol | June 03, 2020, 11:00 a.m.
Voice assistants have an answer to the vast majority of questions. But what should you ask them anyway? TECHBOOK has compiled a list of important commands and questions you should know about.
Smart loudspeakers have now also established themselves in the living room in this country. Above all, Amazon regularly introduces new generations of Echo devices and Google has also expanded its range with the Home Hub, as has Apple with its Homepod. The helpful assistants can answer questions on demand, set timers and even place online orders. The most popular has become Amazon's Alexa, which is integrated by Amazon in the Echo speakers or in the Fire TV.
How to set up Amazon's Alexa correctly
But voice assistants all have one problem in common: You are never really sure what you can ask - after all, there is no menu that shows you all the commands. That's why TECHBOOK has put together the most useful commands for Amazon Alexa that you should definitely try.
- Alexa, good morning!
- Alexa, stop!
- Alexa, what's the weather like?
- Alexa, louder.
- Alexa, quieter.
- Alexa, go on.
- Alexa, set an alarm for [time].
Also interesting: This is what the ring colors mean on Amazon Alexa
Basically, you can ask Alexa anything. You will quickly notice which questions the voice assistant has an answer to. Basically everything that has a certain relevance. This ranges from spelling a word to the publication date of the first Harry Potter volume to explaining mathematical formulas. The general rule is: It doesn't cost anything to ask. Just try! Alternatively, there is also a wiki skill that reads Wikipedia entries after activation. We have gathered some examples of knowledge questions:
- Alexa, translate [XYZ] into Italian.
- Alexa, who is [name of someone known]?
- Alexa, how tall is [building]?
- Alexa, how far is it from [City 1] to [City 2]?
- Alexa, what is [subject]?
- Alexa, how old is [person]?
- Alexa, spell [word].
- Alexa, what is the capital of [country]?
- Alexa, when does the sun rise?
- Alexa, what is the root of [number]?
- Alexa, what will the weather be like on [day]?
In the kitchen
Alexa can also be very practical in the kitchen, for example if you also have groceries and household products delivered to your home via Amazon. Because if you don't have a hand free, you can also fill the shopping list via Alexa or order something directly. Alexa can also replace the classic egg timer and even run several timers in parallel. With the help of various skills, Alexa also supports cooking by the voice assistant reading out recipes, converting quantities or repeating work steps on demand.
For example, say to Alexa:
- Alexa, set a timer for [number] minutes.
- Alexa, write [product] on my shopping list.
- Alexa, order [product].
- Alexa, put [XYZ] on my to-do list.
- Alexa, how long is [store name] in [location] open today?
- Alexa, please show me [recipe]. (requires an Amazon Echo Show)
Which questions users ask Amazon's Alexa most frequently
Music and film
With Amazon's voice assistant you can of course also play music and control it by voice. So far, however, this only works in connection with Amazon Prime Music, Spotify and the radio streaming service TuneIn. If you have a premium account from Spotify, you can connect it via the Alexa app and thus access the entire music library and playlists. Alexa can also help with the search for a suitable film and a screening in the cinema.
- Alexa, play music from [artist].
- Alexa, play the [Artist] album [Album].
- Alexa, what am I listening to right now?
- Alexa, stop playing music in [number] minutes.
- Alexa, next song.
- Alexa, play music with your workout!
- Alexa, play music [genre].
- Alexa, play [genre] from the [decade].
- Alexa, when is [Movie Title] showing in [City]?
- Alexa, which films are showing in the cinema in [city]?
- Alexa, what rating does [film] have at IMDb?
The in-house music streaming service Amazon Prime Music also enables song recognition based on the text.
- Alexa, play music to the text [text example: breathless through the night].
Also interesting: which streaming service offers the most for 10 euros?
Sports results and news
Alexa can also deliver the daily dose of news and sports. So far, it has mainly supported American sports leagues, which are unlikely to be of interest in Germany, but the Bundesliga is also involved. Alexa delivers current results and, for Amazon Prime customers, the Bundesliga even live or in a conference.
- Alexa, what's the score for [team]?
- Alexa, how's [team] playing?
- Alexa, when is the next game for [team]?
- Alexa, what position in the table is [team]?
- With Prime subscription: Alexa, play [Team 1] against [Team 2].
If you prefer to hear the latest news instead of sports results, Alexa can read a daily news summary to you. You decide yourself which sources Alexa relies on: In the Alexa app on your smartphone, you simply subscribe to the appropriate mini apps - Amazon calls them “Skills” - from news media.
- Alexa, what's my daily summary?
If you have equipped your own four walls with smart lamps or thermostats, you can in many cases also control them directly with Alexa. The popular Philips Hue lamps are compatible with Alexa, for example.
- Alexa, turn on / off the lights in the [room].
- Alexa, set the lamps in [Room] to [Number] percent brightness.
- Alexa, set the temperature in the [room] to [number] degrees.
You can also use the Echo devices to send messages or make phone calls. For most of the following commands, however, you must have the Alexa app installed on your smartphone and grant you access to various apps.
- Alexa, send [contact name] a voice message.
- Alexa, start a drop in.
- Alexa, call [contact name].
- Alexa, turn the camera / microphone on / off.
- Alexa, call [Name].
Alexa also gives you the latest information on the traffic situation. So you can quickly decide in the morning whether you prefer to go by car, train or bike.
- Alexa, how is the traffic?
- Alexa, how is my way to work?
With Alexa, products can be ordered directly from Amazon. Since the assistant is linked to your Amazon account, you do not need to enter any addresses or payment options.
- Alexa, order [product name].
- Alexa, order again [product name].
- Alexa, add [product name] to my shopping cart.
- Alexa, track my order.
In addition to a series of practical commands, Alexa also masters more or less funny jokes with which you can pass the time.
- Alexa, are there UFOs?
- Alexa, self-destruct.
- Alexa, high five!
- Alexa, what's the magic word?
- Alexa, I am your father.
- Alexa, make me a sandwich.
- Alexa, can you beatbox?
- Alexa, test 1, 2, 3.
- Alexa, what do you think of Siri?
- Alexa, Palim Palim!
Or you just ask Alexa if she can tell you a joke. The language assistant's humor, however, is not to everyone's taste ...
- Which designer designs signs?
- Whose death unexpectedly caused widespread public suffering
- Why is postmodern cinema called that?
- Are cryptocurrencies dead
- How are mules and horses alike?
- What is the Mercaris business model
- Can TEDx topics be similar
- What is SLS toothpaste
- Why do alkanes have no functional groups
- What's your best cat experience
- Does conservatism resist technological progress?
- Is Katy Perry stupid
- How do I test the effectiveness of weeds
- What happened to Welker in 2013
- When will this world be oil-free?
- Music increases our concentration
- How do I win my friends' trust
- How do we see the wonderful world
- Let us condemn ourselves to suffering
- How do I treat my extreme restlessness
- Can I use Httrack for onion websites
- What are logs in Python
- How many blocks make up one square meter
- What are the top 100 songs of 2016