Can caffeine increase your life expectancy
Coffee extends life
A British study took a close look at coffee drinkers and found that the larger the daily amount of coffee, the longer the consumers lived. The positive effect could be demonstrated independently of the processing of the caffeine in the body.
Life expectancy increases with every cup
Erikka Loftfield from the National Health Institute in Rockville (USA) and her team investigated how high coffee consumption affects life expectancy. The scientists evaluated the data from almost 500,000 British people. Looking back over 10 years, they compared the probability of death of coffee drinkers with that of non-coffee drinkers.
With one cup of coffee a day, the risk of dying for the next 10 years decreased by 8 percent. When consuming 4 to 5 cups a day, the risk of death was 12 percent lower compared to non-coffee drinkers. If someone drank 6 to 7 cups of coffee a day, the probability of death decreased by 16 percent. The scientists also found a health benefit when drinking more than 8 cups of coffee per day.
The research team found no difference in life expectancy between caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee. In comparison, filter coffee and espresso had slightly more positive effects than the use of soluble coffee powder.
Slowing down caffeine doesn't do any harm
The caffeine metabolism, i.e. the rate at which caffeine is broken down in the body, is genetically determined. Some people have a metabolism that breaks down caffeine more slowly. The UK study found no association between caffeine metabolism and mortality. The life expectancy of coffee drinkers increased equally in people with fast and slow caffeine metabolism.
The doctors saw their results as confirmation that coffee has a health-promoting effect - even for people who drink a lot of it or who break down the caffeine it contains more slowly.
Authors07/30/2018 | Miriam Knauer
- Folk music is becoming increasingly popular
- What is the law of large numbers
- How is a moral injustice corrected?
- Which companies use a multi-colored butterfly logo?
- How did modern dance emerge from ballet?
- Where is the Bermuda Triangle 1
- Why does my spine hurt?
- Most slasher movies are predictable
- What is a company ID
- Where are podcasts hosted
- Can I do an MBA with LLB?
- What are the differences between SDH and PDH
- Who paid the Watergate burglars
- What if people had a horsetail?
- Why do Siamese cat eyes turn red
- Contains NaCl bound to seawater
- What exactly is moisture growing
- Who has ever had fugu
- What is the next big astronomical event?
- Is the LPHS Santacruz School a good one
- Which song best describes bipolar disorder?
- What is interferon
- What is Robby Krieger famous for?
- How to use the Dropbox app