Washington Nationals celebrate their victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2019 National League Wildcard Game
With a pair of wildcard playoff games in the books, the 2019 Major League Baseball postseason is now fully underway.
The host Washington Nationals rallied in dramatic fashion, scoring three times in the bottom of the 8th inning for a 4-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers in the NL Wildcard Game on Tuesday night.
Then last night, the visiting Tampa Bay Rays scored four times over the first three innings and coasted to a 5-1 victory over the host Oakland Athletics.
With those opening salvos in the books, the drama will only ratchet up a notch as the weather turns cooler across the nation over the coming weeks of October baseball.
The match-ups are now set for a pair of Division Series in both the National and American Leagues. Those best-of-five series will get underway in New York, Houston, Los Angeles, and Atlanta over the next two days.
Having predicted victories by Washington and Oakland in the Wildcard games, I am 1-1 thus far in this postseason.
The following are my picks for each of the four Division Series. I have also listed the scheduled dates, times, location, and TV network for each game in the series as well as the likely pitching match-ups for the first three contests. TBA means that no time has been set as yet.
The numbers in parentheses are where each team finished in my final 2019 MLB Power Rankings of all 30 big-league ball clubs.
ALDS: New York Yankees (10 ) vs. Minnesota Twins (5)
- Friday, 10/04, 7:07 PM EDT at Yankee Stadium on MLBN: James Paxton (NYY) vs Jose Berrios (Min)
- Saturday, 10/05, 5:07 PM EDT at Yankee Stadium on FS1: Masahiro Tanaka (NYY) vs Jake Odorizzi (Min)
- Monday, 10/07, TBA at Target Field on FS1: Luis Severino (NYY) vs Kyle Gibson/as primary with possible “opener” used (Min)
- Tuesday, 10/08, TBA at Target Field on FS1: if necessary
- Thursday, 10/10, TBA at Yankee Stadium on FS1: if necessary
PREDICTION: Yankees in three
ALDS: Houston Astros (2) vs. Tampa Bay Rays (4)
- Friday, 10/04, 2:05 PM EDT at Minute Maid Park on FS1, TBS: Justin Verlander (Hou) vs Tyler Glasnow (TB)
- Saturday, 10/05, 9:07 PM EDT at Minute Main Park on FS1: Gerrit Cole (Hou) vs Blake Snell (TB)
- Monday, 10/07, TBA at Tropicana Field on MLBN: Zack Greinke (Hou) vs Charlie Morton (TB)
- Tuesday, 10/08, TBA at Tropicana Field on FS1: if necessary
- Thursday, 10/10, TBA at Minute Maid Park on FS1: if necessary
PREDICTION: Astros in five
NLDS: Atlanta Braves (11) vs. Saint Louis Cardinals (6)
- Thursday, 10/03, 5:02 PM EDT at SunTrust Park on TBS: Dallas Keuchel (Atl) vs Miles Mikolas (StL)
- Friday, 10/04, 4:37 PM EDT at SunTrust Park on TBS: Mike Foltynewicz (Atl) vs Jack Flaherty (StL)
- Sunday, 10/06, 4:10 PM EDT at Busch Stadium on TBS: Mike Soroka (Atl) vs Adam Wainwright (StL)
- Monday, 10/07, TBA at Busch Stadium on TBS: if necessary
- Wednesday, 10/09, TBA at SunTrust Park on TBS: if necessary
PREDICTION: Cardinals in four
NLDS: Los Angeles Dodgers (3) vs. Washington Nationals (9)
- Thursday, 10/03, 8:37 PM EDT at Dodger Stadium on TBS: Walker Buehler (LAD) vs Patrick Corbin (Was)
- Friday, 10/04, 9:37 PM EDT at Dodger Stadium on TBS: Clayton Kershaw (LAD) vs Stephen Strasburg (Was)
- Sunday, 10/06, 7:45 PM EDT at Nationals Park on TBS: Hyun-Jin Ryu (LAD) vs Max Scherzer (Was)
- Monday, 10/07, TBA at Nationals Park on TBS: if necessary
- Wednesday, 10/09, TBA at Dodger Stadium on TBS: if necessary
PREDICTION: Dodgers in five
Once these series have fully ended and the match-ups have been set for each League Championship Series, I will come back with a preview and prediction for each of those.